iBuypower Gamer Mage 855: a Quad-core Dual-GPU Gaming System for $1,499

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

You forgot to mention that the XPS 630 comes with an nvidia 650i mobo. Not exactly the bleeding edge of motherboard technology. Cyberpower, allows you to purchase a motherboard with better upgradeability. It's unfortunate that cyberpower gets such reviews at well known sites, because their customer service is notoriously bad. It seems they spend a long time testing the builds they send to reviewers, but shirk the work when it comes to building for the actual consumers (see reseller ratings: cyberpower). I believe that both companies fall short: Dell, because the system lacks the option to get a better motherboard, and Cyberpower, for it's shoddy craftsmanship.

G

very true! you can't have it all... if you really did want a great build and maybe customer service, try alienware. im not sure how they are with cs but i know their products match quality... prices may be a bit high though but for me, i'll stick with custom builds!

Gryphyn

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Just an FYI for the authors, Supreme Commander will take advantage of multiple cores, but it has two main threads that use the most CPU power, the first and largest being the AI thread, and the second being the effects thread. Because these threads are so power hungry is why you see a dual core system with higher clocks outperforming a quad with lower clocks. The two main threads are banging their heads against the lower clocked cores, even if the rest of the minor processing can go to cores 3 and 4.

G

"While it?s true that the Dell performed a little better in some games in our benchmarks, we do feel that the iBuypower system might have suffered from some specific RTS titles in our benchmark suite and that many other games might show the Gamer Mage 855 system in a stronger light. Indeed, the Radeon 3870 X2 gives the iBuypower system some real gaming credibility for its attractive price."

What are you talking about? To me it's pretty clear that the Dell outperformed the iBuyPower rig and in some cases by a far margin. Even at higher resultions where the ATI card is supposed the shine it's not like it beat down the Dell. One thing to keep in mind is that those who are looking for a low end gaming rig are not going to have 24"+ sized monitors to run the high resolutions that it would take to get performance better than the dell. Plus, the dell is cheaper.

I kind of think the conclusion here was really taking it easy on iBuyPower. Honestly they're going to have to work harder to come up with something that is truely competitve in the market.

G

The Dell "budget" system sucks. For the price anyone could build something much better. They are using PC-5300 RAM for godsakes!

G

The Dell system blows. They are using PC-5300 RAM? Anyone could build something much better for the price. I dont want to even think what quality is in a "dell" 750w PSU

samprasfan

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
You can actually get a really good deal from Dell if you take the time to look for good discounts. For a buddy of mine, I made an Inspiron 530 with a Q6600, 4GB 800Mhz RAM, 500GB HD, a 22" LCD, and of course the 16x DVD+/-RW, case, MB, keyboard/mouse, and Windows license that runs up the cost of a regular computer, for right around 900$ with shipping and tax. I left it with the onboard video, and bought an 8800GT and a very nice 650W power supply from newegg for 300$, bringing the grand total to 1200$ for a computer that would own the Gamer Mage, and compete with/beat the XPS. I couldn't find the parts cheap enough to beat this deal building it myself, taking everything into account. If you're just upgrading, sure, do it yourself. But starting from scratch, this is a cheap, nearly labor-free way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.