The Fujitsu Lifebook P1620: Windows Air?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

You could have compared SOMETHING between the two notebooks besides the specs (i.e. battery life, word processing, image editting, etc). They don't use the same software, and you may not think that is a very good control, but ultimately, you should be trying to contrast the two experiences using the task the user is performing as the control. So, person A wants to open a 2 MB spreadsheet. How fast is it on the Air w/ Mac Office vs. on the Lifebook w/ Win Office? Person B wants to edit a 6MB photo. How fast is it to open with photoshop on the lifebook vs. photoshop on the mac? Ultimately, the software you are comparing is different, so it may not seem very scientific, but you can compare the overall experience between the two notebooks, which is ultimately what users care about.

abqaussie

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
I agree, a task based comparison would have been interesting, but the whole point of Apple's drive for the Air was the hardware right?

Lightest? Thinnest? Sacrificing functionality for those two goals? Apple pretty much assumes users DON'T care about the user experience there and only care about shoving the Air in an envelope. Since the cheaper Macbook smokes the air for functionality, even in an Apples to Apples comparison. Sorry for the pun.

Want to connect 2 USB devices simulataneously without a hub? Sorry Air. Want to read an SD card? Sorry Air. Need a hardline network connection for some reason? Sorry Air. Those could be fairly user-experience related bits of hardware.

I actually would care more how it performed relative to a couple of known non-tiny Windows laptops for the same OS and apps. To see what the performance sacrifice is vs. the benefit of having a freakishly tiny touch-screen laptop is.

russki

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
MadMinstrel, this is my problem with the review as well. For pete's sakes, this is a tablet, and one of the best at that. This targets it squarely at a different audience. And it has Wacom tablet screen and one of the best battery lives among the tablets. And I think it is bezelless, which is important to some users...

Bottom line, this is a review by somebody who does not understand tablets and the fact that they're more than a notebook in so many ways...

G

it would be really cool if you guys could add to your usual tests the compilation of the linux kernel for example.
Lets face it ... many (if not most) of the people that ready these reviews are developers or something similar. Of course there is a large gang of gamers but they will end up getting the microbe of programming sooner or later.
all the other tests are fine but the compilation time would give an overall rating (hdd,cpu,memory) that none of the other tests could give. And it would really help to figure out which one would be really good for a developer. I suppose it is not that much to ask since you have specialized tests for multimedia artists.
And this would be really useful.

G

Not surprised. At least 60% of "Tom's" related reviews are quite sub-par in my opinion. They didn't give us much real world comparison for this that anyone else couldn't have found comparing specs between apple and fuji's websites. And if you think this review is sub-par you should check out the joke they are doing on CPU coolers on tom's hardware....

G

Is this meant to be a review?
It looks like a couple of photos and a ton of benchmarks to me!

These days Tom's seem to think that having pages and pages of benchmark results makes up for having almost zero written content.

defl8ed

Distinguished
May 21, 2003
Why not just load windows on the Air? I was under the impression that you could do that on all of the Intel macs via bootcamp. Is this no longer the case with the Macbook Air?

G

Air Book owners are most likely iPhone owners. If they have a mouse, it's the BT Mighty Mouse. Also they (most likely) have WiFi/BT digital cameras (or they can certainly buy them if they haven't already). That leaves the only USB port to be used for... a memory stick. When they travel, they are not usually in the desert and most airports/airplanes/trains provide power outlets.
The *only* thing missing in the AirBook is the blue ray drive.

NOTE: when you say you simply CAN'T compare performance because the Lifebook uses Windows and the Air uses OSX... you are joking, right? http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bootcamp.html

G

This has got to be the dumbest review ever. I like the typos on the first page, WTF is a P6120?

Status
Not open for further replies.