NYT's Subscription Service Kicks in March 28

Status
Not open for further replies.

deerhound

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
That will be the last time I read the NYT. I just can not see paying for unthinking Progressive propaganda. I have only read it to keep abreast of what those who wish to tear down the US have on their minds. I have read very few researched articles and mostly insane leftist drivel. Their reporting on the crises in Japan has been atrociously uninformed, especially in regard to the nuclear power plant disaster. Won't be a great loss to me!

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
no, but good for NYT.
only 1 of their articles a month is relevant to me.
that should speak volumes about their writing and marketing.
[citation][nom]davewolfgang[/nom]The spam here is actually more factual than anything that comes out of the NYT.[/citation]
Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper.
Thomas Jefferson

doggrell3000

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
i have read the times for 40 years . but there is a limit to my devotion . i will miss the times because most other news sources and journals are so poorly written . but everybody has their hand out these days . i have to pay at&t just to get on line . now these reporters in new york want 200 or 300 bucks a year for information that is 90 % not even theirs to sell . utilities are going up . direct tv is going up . groceries are going up . rent , gasoline , everything is sky high . if the times really wanted to start making money again they would get rid of the overpriced office building they presently occupy in manhattan then move to a bronx warehouse . next fire half the fat cats - beginning with sulzberger - and can all the prima donna celebrity writers . the times and its employees think that just because they live and work around big shots in the city that they are somehow big shots too . they need to get a grip and lose their inflated self image . its only a newspaper . this absurd con game that the times is perpetrating on its national readership will backfire worse than the launch of new coke . i predict this once prestigious news organization will go belly up within 18 months . nobody is going to pay an online paper 300 dollars a year in the middle of a permanent economic downturn .

doggrell3000

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
please tom - block these obnoxious spammers . we are trying to have a reasonable conversation here in the good old comments section but a scourge of greedy sunglasses salesmen have to invade our space and hawk t shirts and hoohies that nobody will possibly ever buy ... ( unless people are more gullible than i thought ) ..... really -- online advertising is getting more boorish every day .... don't these idiots realize that viewers intentionally avoid such annoying intrusions ?!!

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
seeing as i dont actually hit that limit even on a good day... I probably wount, but it looks like an intresting model. I hope it works out for them. Im willing to pay 15 bucks a month... If the content is what i like, but then again... there would have to be alot of good content.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"I just can not see paying for unthinking Progressive propaganda. I have only read it to keep abreast of what those who wish to tear down the US have on their minds. I have read very few researched articles and mostly insane leftist drivel. Their reporting on the crises in Japan has been atrociously uninformed, especially in regard to the nuclear power plant disaster. "

Yup, because foxnews.com didnt go for any sensationalist nuke headlines. Right.

Here's breaking news: ALL major news outlets are biased. Not just a big leftist-only conspiracy.

G

They must be desperate. In all likelihood this will probably lose them more money on advertising than gain via ridiculously high fees... especially for content you can get in other places for free.

Albyint

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
IMO Newspaper and normal medium is dieing in the wake of free information on the web. Its amazing what google can find that a newspaper cant. I just cant see these things being realavent in the coming years.

G

I read the online paper every day and think they have some of the best coverage of current events. The opinion section and the technology sections are also very good. I hope they can survive because they are one of the few creators of content, not just reposting content from other sources! That said, I do think that the subscription price is to high.

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
I've been reading the Times online for the last 20 years. I think it's the best newspaper on th planet.

That being said, I'm not going to subscribe to a print paper, and I am not going to pay for the privelege of accessing their website, even if their access prices weren't completely out of line - which they are.

I predict the Times loses 90% of it's online readership. After that they either make the website free again or it's a slow decline and eventual bankruptcy. Or better yet, maybe Rupert Murdoch will buy them and take us one step closer to fascist totalitarianism.

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
[citation][nom]davewolfgang[/nom]The spam here is actually more factual than anything that comes out of the NYT.[/citation]

I think you meant Fox News. Have another drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.