AT&T to Impose DSL, U-Verse Usage Caps

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodney_ws

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
DSL isn't a shared connection like cable... thus it doesn't "congest" So what's up AT&T? Just feeling a little greedy? Surely your backbone to the net isn't saturated... or anything close to it.

fuzzyplankton

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
My IP Bend Broadband has had a GB cap for 3 years now with a a $2.50 for every gig over that. It Real sucks. Then every offer up to 60 Mbps with a 150GB cap for $90 a month. WTF? Use your total band with in a few minuets? I can use all 100GB in 2 days at 8Mbps.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I am a Uverse user and up to now have been pretty happy. While I am unlikely to exceed this cap, I don't appreciate having to pay for "full service" and getting something less in return (by being limited and penalized for using too much....).

I have a planned move coming up later this Summer and this will likely result in me dumping Uverse at my new address. Not cool on AT&T's part.

I am sure this is meant, more than anything else, to limit using the 'Net for TV and movies, vice getting from AT&T.

xambron

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
There services are expensive enough. They're wireless coverage is garbage, internet is too expensive for what you do get. I'm glad our household dropped AT&T. I pray that their server farm catches on fire so that others may follow suit.

G

Hmm... Didn't AT&T use the same percentages of users that would be affected when they got rid of their unlimited data plans for their phones?
2gb of wireless data is more then enough for 98% of users...
now 150gb is more then enough for 98% of users...
I would love to see their data, It's a little suspicious that they are the same values. I think AT&T is fudging some numbers here.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
They just hate people streaming instead of paying for their overpriced TV. Only the people can fight back. Cancel your services, move to competitors... TWC tried this in our area and failed. We (so far) still have uncapped usage. I don't use bit-torrents or anything. But I do work from home and do video conferencing and stream online TV. I can burn through their cap in an afternoon. It's ridiculous. And they have no real reason to do so other than pure greed. Their other excuses are a load of crap. And 2% my hairy backside...

I'm tempted to move back to Japan with my 150M/sec down and up, unlimited for a huge $45/month... That's internet service. States ain't got nothing close. FIOS maybe for the extreme few who can actually get it but... And I even live in a Verizon serviced area... No plans for FIOS... ever... in our area... weee...

jonathan1683

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I have ATT dsl and it does get congested as soon as its hours between 5pm and 9 it bogs down to 150 KB/s off times its 600. I am use to have time warner with a 20 mbit connection and it was amazing this DSL is horrible and unstable now they are capping me when I don't even get the service I pay for. I made a mistake moving to a place with no choices. It wont happen again!

G

Comcast and ATT are starting this to eliminate competition such as Hulu or Netflix. If you can pay a few bucks to watch all the tv episodes and movies you want online, why have cable or sat tv

qhoa1385

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
yeah then why get extremely fast speed when the final product that you get is the same with everyone else

another greedy business move

bweliky

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
smmh... I have uverse was very satisfied with their services until this. I called just a minute ago to find out my last months monthly usage, turns out they dont have a way to determine that yet and will as of may 2nd. I was told signing up i'd be able to receive "unlimited" internet access.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]Similar stuff's happening in Canada.Fortunately the decision will be reversed.[/citation]
Only for wholesalers, If you go with Teksavvy you will keep your bandwidth, if you go with big boys, then well... you will still have Usage based billing.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
"We are committed to providing a great experience for all of our Internet customers," AT&T continues. "We will communicate early and often with these customers so they are well aware of their options before they incur any additional usage charges. Importantly, we are not reducing the speeds, terminating service or limiting available data like some others in the industry."

I am afraid I am going to have to throw the BS flag.

hothar228

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
If only 2% of the people are classified as "Internet Bandwidth Hungry" then why are 100% of the people affected? Nice Job AT&T. This is yet another example of Monopolistic business practices by a company that was divided up to keep it from being a monopoly. Don't you love the irony of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.