An Open Letter from the CEOs of MSFT and Nokia

Status
Not open for further replies.

killbits

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Saw this coming a loooong time ago. Neither Nokia nor Microsoft by themselves could compete against iPhone/Blackberry/Android, but together they have a chance. Not a very good chance, but better than either company had as of yesterday.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
Meego is a No go!!!

Great move from the two. Nokia is losing the ground and WP7 has the potential: It is easy, easy to sync, beautiful and fast!!!

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
so the truely failed w7 operating system are going to plague nokia damn you microsoft. i love symbian its epic only thing is where the fuck is all the updates

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]Meego is a No go!!!Great move from the two. Nokia is losing the ground and WP7 has the potential: It is easy, easy to sync, beautiful and fast!!![/citation]

So... because you dont want microsoft your not going to buy the meego??? more for me, ill play with nokia's experimental platform of choice if you wont :D

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
I used to be a loyal Windows Mobile user, but WP 7 is an abomination. Granted, Nokia has absolutely failed from an OS point too, but I don't know if they know what they got themselves into.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
So basically the two loosers in the market are combining forces to hopefully become better than the pile of shit they are on their own.. Will this make it a double turd or faucet ass? Only time will tell.. But I dont expect much with Google and Apple having a stable platform and waring at the moment. The only thing Nokia brings to the table is a hardware platform that is mediocre but affordable, and decent EU following..
I guess with all the money Microsoft threw at WP7, they cant give up without a fight..
But I would say this is a hail mary move on both companies, and hail marys done on 4th and 30 at your own 20 yard line with 15 seconds in the fourth rarely amount to much..

G

Elop is a spy and a damn good one. So now Microsoft OWN Nokia. nuff said. And Nokia is DEAD, no more long lasting phone, and a buggy os.

Might as well Nokia go open source, Let user to install whatever OS they like and whenever they want. So let the PC vs Mac move to mobile platform. Only in this way that Microsoft will success and Nokia will be another IBM.

How come they never think of it. Stupid idiota. Why want go close system when in Open system u earn more then just crappy ads?

xtremeways

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
smart move on both companies at this point.....gives them a fighting chance. But to those that are making fun of both companies and their feeble effort, remember competition is what drives the market to release more innovative and better products. So even if this partnership is a big fail, we should benefit greatly from android and IOS have more fire lit under their butts.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I believe that it will be to some advantage to both within this new partnership,but judging by the marketshare fall that Nokia had after announcing their partnership I think that there is a lot more to worry about then what maybe Nokia had thought would happen...Also please keep your advertising off these posts that you put up,I have seen another post in the mobile graphic area that is trying to sell their wares also...

G

Ballmer actually called his new partner company "knock-ee-uh". Does not strike me as evidence that they are comprehensively "on the same page".

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
" ....in other news cellular phones using windows contracted a virus which downloaded the customer user database and bank account information and deactivated the phone using a security vulnerability known in most microsoft products since the early 1990's in windows 3.0 blah blah blah blah blah...."

another 'win' for hackers is the only thing i'm hearing in the not too far off distant future.

G

Two dinosaurs cling to life and take their last gasps of air. The world has moved. Your time is gone.

squallypie

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
seriously, there are new chinese and indian mobile companies coming up. thing is, they depend much on Google Android so its a plus for Google. But India having a well developed software infrastructure, could step it up a notch and bring in a totally new software and hardware combination.

That is, if only they would get up and grab the opportunity before its too late.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]elcentral[/nom]so the truely failed w7 operating system are going to plague nokia damn you microsoft. i love symbian its epic only thing is where the fuck is all the updates[/citation]

Failed? Come on. Just admit that you have never used Windows Phone 7. It's okay.

I'm sitting here with a Droid X and typing this up on a MacBook Pro so don't take what I am about to say as coming from a rabid MS fanboy.

Windows Phone 7 has the best user interface of any mobile phone operating system currently available. Microsoft out-Appled Apple and I mean that in the BEST way possible. The animations are silky smooth and the interface is easy to understand and simple to navigate. It truly is shocking to see such an OS from Microsoft. On my Droid X animations can sometimes be sluggish, pinch to zoom still isn't smooth, and the menu system needs some serious work. WP7 isn't quite up to snuff with Android 2.2 or iOS 4.1 but it's a much better than what was available with Android and iOS when their platforms started.

I'm not saying it's all roses because there are definitely some shortcomings (IE, cough, IE) but it definitely is not a "failed" product. I think some of you are underestimating the gravity of this partnership. Microsoft probably has the largest developer base of any of the mobile OS platforms and Nokia is HUGE overseas.

There is a reason Google reacted to this news the way they did. They are nervous. Apple reacted the same way to Google a couple of years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.