HP May Have Abandoned WebOS in Smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
HP is concedind the smart phone market becuase they have no vision or ability to innovate. HP is a boring company that hops on "the next big thing" firt it was touch screen PC's then it was tablets, now smart phones... same as it ever was...

G

Yeah, they've conceded two days before the announcement of their webos roadmap, which will almost certainly include new phones? Yup.

rlopin

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
The title and premise of this article are absolutely ridiculous. HP is fully vested in WebOS for Smartphones, Tablets and other devices. WebOS just needs great hardware -- enter HP.

You shall see on February 9th.

G

concede consumer smartphone market to concentrate on business smartphone market only to re-enter consumer smartphone market when product has matured, sounds like a good business plan

rlopin

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
The WebOS user interface is very well designed. Even Android and iOS users often agree with that. If HP went with Android they would have been the umpteenth wannabe in a sea of Android devices. With WebOS they can control and therefore differentiate the entire user experience. I wonder where we have successfully seen that model implemented before?

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
[citation][nom]rlopin[/nom]The title and premise of this article are absolutely ridiculous. HP is fully vested in WebOS for Smartphones, Tablets and other devices. WebOS just needs great hardware -- enter HP.You shall see on February 9th.[/citation]

Actually, the title and premise of this article is exactly what HP SHOULD be doing if they had anyone with a brain left in their head still working there. However they'll keep throwing time and resources against fighting the obvious champion in Android just because some executive that only understands a fraction of the situation has a hard-on for WebOS. Yeah, WebOS is good. It's not great, and it's certainly not great enough to take on Andy.

If you just fold now and start making your stuff run Android better than everyone else does, you may have a chance of making a profit in the next couple of years. Or you can be like the idiots that run my company and flush it down the crapper. Whatever.

rlopin

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]Actually, the title and premise of this article is exactly what HP SHOULD be doing if they had anyone with a brain left in their head still working there. However they'll keep throwing time and resources against fighting the obvious champion in Android just because some executive that only understands a fraction of the situation has a hard-on for WebOS. Yeah, WebOS is good. It's not great, and it's certainly not great enough to take on Andy. If you just fold now and start making your stuff run Android better than everyone else does, you may have a chance of making a profit in the next couple of years. Or you can be like the idiots that run my company and flush it down the crapper. Whatever.[/citation]

Don't you think the market is flooded with enough Android devices? Android is the obvious champion, really?

This market is large enough for more than 3 major players, and nascent enough for any one to put a mark in it, especially one who has the resources of HP. Palm was simply too small and had terrible marketing and bad hardware for their amazing operating system.

G

WebOS is far superior to the PoS Android that is spread so thin across so many devices that it is barely functioning on half of the devices that are underpowered for that OS. It's not as sleek, nor as manageble as the WebOS. But hey, it's trendy and people will buy the android just because their buddy has one. Keeping up with the Joneses or whatever the aphorism is.

rlopin

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I for one think that webOS is a failure. Of course HP won't admit it, but let's face it, having two devices on market doesn't help.[/citation]

Many more WebOS devices are about to be announced 2 days from now on February 9th.

heyguydaq

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
The initial release of webOS a couple years ago was just to get products out there. Hp finally found some innovation when they bought palm. Together, they think have something big enough to hold an event for. webOS is just beginning. They have already brought innovation to the smartphone market as they have done in the past. TRUE Multitaksing... All other platforms are still trying to figure that out. Synergy... Contacts,email, and messaging integration. Palm Profile (cloud services)... Contacts are in the cloud and are ready for transfer between devices. Homebrew community... Change the UI, overclock the cpu, tethering, etc. etc. . For this and so much more, hp/palm will be something to reckon with.

G

I thought I read that HP is dropping Palm. Thought I read it here (?).

Status
Not open for further replies.