The case may differ if you want to use your Android smartphone to access any personal Wi-Fi network, your office LAN for example. Although it is likely that your office LAN is protected behind a strong firewall and all the communications that take place remain encrypted, you cannot be that sure when it comes to wireless communication.
In order to protect a wireless communication that takes place between your office LAN and your Android smartphone, you must use any third-party app that can add an additional layer of security to the packets that transmit over the wireless channel.
Although there are many communication security apps available out there, this particular tutorials uses ConnectBot, which does not require your Android phone to be rooted. In your case, you can choose any such app of your choice.
No matter which app you choose to use, the basic fundamental of all such apps is same, i.e. to secure the wireless communication between an Android smartphone and a Wi-Fi network.
Here’s how you can download, install, and start using the ConnectBot app on your Android smartphone:
- Turn on your Android phone if it is not already powered on.
- Tap the Menu icon to display the apps list.
- Locate and tap the Play Store app icon.
- On the Play Store interface, tap the Search icon (icon with the magnifying glass symbol) from the top, and search ConnectBot.
- Once the ConnectBot interface opens up, tap the INSTALL button.
- When prompted for the permissions to download the app, tap the ACCEPT button.
- Once downloaded, on the ConnectBot window, tap the OPEN button and follow the on-screen instructions to install the app.
- On the ConnectBot: Hosts interface, tap the drop-down list from the bottom-left corner, and make sure that ssh radio button is selected. Alternatively you can also choose any other option depending upon your preferences.
- Once this is done, enter the username in the available field, and tap the Done button at the bottom-right corner of the displayed keyboard.
10. Finally, on the next interface, provide your necessary credentials to sign-in to your account and start using the secured Wi-Fi network.