It is quite normal that after providing an unlock pattern to your tablet or mobile, you forget the pattern and attempt unlocking the device multiple times. In this process, many times your device gets permanently locked, and you no longer get any access to it. If you have forgotten your recovery email, you will not be able to unlock the device using that option as well.
In this situation, your first step should be to protect your data from getting destroyed. Here’s what you can do to prevent your data from getting wiped out:
- Install Samsung Kies on a computer.
- Use connection cable that came along with your device to connect your tablet/mobile to the computer on which you have installed Samsung Kies.
- Once the device is connected, open the Samsung Kies software by double-clicking its icon.
- On the opened interface, make sure that the name of the device is selected/highlighted in the left pane.
- From the right pane, click the View in Explorer button.
- From the opened Windows Explorer window, choose the folders/files that you want to prevent from getting deleted, and copy them to the local hard disk drive of your computer using simple copy and paste method.
- Once this is done, you are now ready to hard reset your Samsung device to remove the unlock pattern completely.
Below is the process to tell you how you can hard reset your Samsung tablet:
- Ensure that the Samsung tablet is powered off.
- Press the Power and the Volume Up button together till the device displays the start-up logo.
- Once the logo is displayed, release the buttons and wait till the device enters the Android system recovery mode.
- On the displayed screen, use Volume Down button to go to the wipe data/factory reset option (Volume Up and Volume Down buttons are used to highlight the displayed options on the Android system recovery screen).
- Once the option is highlighted, press the Power button to select the option. (Pressing the Power button in Android system recovery mode selects the highlighted option.)
- On the next screen, press the Volume Down button multiple times till the Yes -- delete all user data option is highlighted.
- Press the Power button to hard reset the Samsung tablet device while clearing the dalvik cache along with the process.
- Once your device is hard reset and rebooted successfully, you will see that the unlock pattern obstruction is also gone, and you can now set a new unlock pattern on your Samsung tablet.