Your question
Solved

Can i upgrade my laptop processor?

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Acer
  • Processors
Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
April 27, 2018 6:36:55 PM

Can i upgrade my laptop processor from i3 to i5?
Im using acer 315-51-35LM
Core i3
4gb ram
1tb hdd

More about : upgrade laptop processor

a b D Laptop
April 27, 2018 7:24:52 PM

not sure, if they sell an i5 model that is identical with the only difference being that it has an i5 instead of an i3 (and other stuff too maybe like more RAM or bigger HDD but that stuff is irrelevant) then you could try to find the exact i5 that is in the i5 version online or locally somewhere and then install it yourself. But usually, it's not possible or not recommended. That's the price you pay with a laptop, you get portability but you lose out on customization and upgradeability
m
0
l
Related resources
April 28, 2018 6:20:38 PM

What can i do to make it faster then ? Im using photoshop for editting. Photo edits works just fine but not for videos. Any suggestions ?
m
0
l
a c 1132 D Laptop
April 28, 2018 6:26:38 PM

kennethsalita said:
What can i do to make it faster then ? Im using photoshop for editting. Photo edits works just fine but not for videos. Any suggestions ?


That usage dictates more RAM.
m
0
l
April 28, 2018 6:38:42 PM

Does upgrading it to 12gb ram will still work well with my current processor ? Are there downsides if ill run on core i3 with 12gb ram ?
m
0
l
a c 1132 D Laptop
April 28, 2018 6:59:08 PM

kennethsalita said:
Does upgrading it to 12gb ram will still work well with my current processor ? Are there downsides if ill run on core i3 with 12gb ram ?


You currently have 4GB.
To get to 12, that means adding an 8GB.

Mixing RAM sticks is always a 'maybe'. It might work, it might not.
Better to go with a 2 x 8GB kit.

But still, photoshop and video editing on a laptop i3....not going to be great.
m
0
l
April 28, 2018 7:48:33 PM

Can we elaborate that not going to be great part...
Will i still get a decent performance when editting videos under core i3 8gb/12gb ram ? Will it crash or hang or lag ?
m
0
l
a c 1132 D Laptop
April 28, 2018 7:57:12 PM

kennethsalita said:
Can we elaborate that not going to be great part...
Will i still get a decent performance when editting videos under core i3 8gb/12gb ram ? Will it crash or hang or lag ?


Adding an 8GB RAM to your current 4GB might work, it might not work at all.
If it works, it will be somewhat better than the current 4GB.

Replacing the existing 4GB with 2 x 8GB, giving you 16GB, would be better still
It will be somewhat better than the proposed 12GB.

But....the CPU in that laptop is still going to be a limiting factor. And that, you cannot change.
m
0
l
Tom’s guide in the world
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Ireland
  • UK
Follow Tom’s guide
Subscribe to our newsletter
  • add to twitter
  • add to facebook
  • ajouter un flux RSS