HP X 360 Convertible 11-ab011 Laptop suddenly turns itself off and I have to press the power button to get it to "re-start" wh

handyboynz

Prominent
Jan 12, 2018
HP X 360 Convertible 11-ab011 Laptop suddenly turns itself off (black screen and no response to mouse or any key) and I have to press the power button to get it to "re-start" from logon screen with password. When it re-starts it will then take me back to what I was doing. I use Windows 10 and have been using Chrome but had uninstalled Chrome and used Edge but got the same issue. I have since re-installed Chrome but still have this issue.

UPDATE 18 January 2018:
Since uninstalling Chrome and making two minor changes in the [Advanced Power Options] to set 'On Battery' to be the same as 'On Power', installing Google SketchUp and re-installing Chrome, I can report that my PC now appears to be behaving "Normally".

It has not turned itself off since I made the changes above.

I will call this issue "CLOSED" - Thanks for your help and recommendations.

Solution
It sounds like it isn't fully turning off if it is going right back to what you were doing and not starting Windows from a fresh start.

I would suggest going into your "Control Panel" and then "Power Options". Next click "Change plan settings" next to the plan you are using. Check if any setting on this new screen is set to turn it off, put it to sleep or hibernate.

If so, try turning that option off. If nothing there is set to do that, then click the "Change advanced power settings" link.

A new window will pop up with a list of all things that can be done/changed in regard to power options. I would go through the whole list and make sure nothing is set to do what you don't want it to. Then when you have made all your changes click...
It sounds like it isn't fully turning off if it is going right back to what you were doing and not starting Windows from a fresh start.

I would suggest going into your "Control Panel" and then "Power Options". Next click "Change plan settings" next to the plan you are using. Check if any setting on this new screen is set to turn it off, put it to sleep or hibernate.

If so, try turning that option off. If nothing there is set to do that, then click the "Change advanced power settings" link.

A new window will pop up with a list of all things that can be done/changed in regard to power options. I would go through the whole list and make sure nothing is set to do what you don't want it to. Then when you have made all your changes click "Apply" and "OK" and you should be good.

Solution

handyboynz

Prominent
Jan 12, 2018

@webworkings: I have done the "usual" checks in Control Panel - nothing is set to turn it off, hibernate or sleep. I have re-checked all the Advanced Power settings - I just made two changes to change the options for 'On Battery' to be the same as the 'Plugged In' and have clicked "Apply" and then "OK".

I will try these changes to see what happens - at worst no change but (being ever optimistic) this could just work !

Thanks for the suggestions, I will write an update either way.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from handyboynz : "HP Laptop shuts down"