paulalastor

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
The first post is here: http://
Warning: Wall of text ahead!!!
Hello, for like some time my Asus N53SM with Nvidia Optimus Hybrid graphics is detected like having, together with Intel Hd 3000, a gt 555 m when, instead, should be gt 630.http://i.imgur.com/cSz4Px0.png. Now I should say that I had previously disassembled the notebook in order to dust off and reapply thermal paste (Noctua), carefully resitting the heatsink with the fan attached to it, for wasn't the first time I did it (two years ago and after the first year I purchased it). I already tried to reset the CMOS battery and looked in the BIOS setting but in vain. HWinfo shows it also like gt 555 m. Besides, and most probably linked to it, I have error 12 for HD intel and error 31 for Microsoft basic display adapter (Nvidia card). I'm sure that I have firmly closed the notebook and also, I was forgetting, checked with memtest the ram and checked with multiple programs the HDD (I never changed anything in this PC). Tried flashing BIOS (already had last version but reflashed anyway with risk), tried in Ubuntu and the nvidia is also shown as gt 555 m, so it must be Hardware related somehow...Should I send to Asus spending I don't know how much, or there is something else to try yet? Thanks for reading through this anyway and sorry for my not so good english (Italian guy here).
T.l.,D.r.: I have a magically pokèmon style nvidia gt 630 m turned into a gt 555 m!!! ;)

That is because the GT 630m is based on one of 3 different chip architectures used for the GT 5xx series. Since both the GT 6xx and GT 5xx are using one of 3 possible architectures; GF106, GF108, GF116; Windows seems to be defaulting to the older GPU model name (GT 555m) instead of the newer GPU model name (GT 630m).

Basically, nVidia has decided to rename the GT 555m as the GT 630m. Nvidia did this so that they can simply use a previous generation GPU and market it as a new lower end GPU in the GT/GTX 6xx series. It saves them money since they do not have to design a new low end GPU. It also means that the company that manufactures nVidia's GPU chips (TSMC) will not have to charge Nvidia a re-tooling fee to rework the production line to produce GPUs of a different design. Re-tooling expenses can be several million dollars.

paulalastor

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
Yes, it's true but is also strange that before I opened the Notebook it was normally detected as gt 630 m...Even the sticker on the palm rest say it (nvidia geforce gt 630m - 2 GB). Oh well, as you said probably it is not an issue after all....but the real issue is the impossibility to install the nvidia drivers in order to fix the errors in device manager. I have no clue about that. Maybe I should try to clean the gpu chip again, but I have the fear is fried as well. What do you suggest? Thanks!

paulalastor

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
The problem is that, in fact! The nvidia drivers from Asus or from the same Nvidia don't install at all! The Intel ones yes. In device manager I have constantly error 12 for the Intel drivers (conflict of resources) and error 31 for the microsoft basic adapter display (Nvidia). This one says: "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device." but also: "The driver trying to start is not the same as the driver for the POSTed display adapter".
cSz4Px0.png