Your question

Laptop not using Dedicated GPU Nvidia 810M

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • GPUs
  • Asus
  • Nvidia
Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
July 11, 2017 5:20:01 AM

Hi!

My ASUS X540SC not use dedicated GPU.

I have already tried the following:

NVIDIA Control Panel:
- Set the global preferred GPU to High Performance NVIDIA GPU
- Set the power management to High Performance

Intel Graphics Control Panel:
- Set 3d to Performance
- Set power management to High Performance

Windows Control Panel:
- Set power management to High Performance

Software Installation:
- Instal all driversfrom oficial ASUS site.
- Uninstalled and Reinstalled Current Versions Intel and NVIDIA Graphics Software

I have tried everything I know of. I am about ready to start doing violence against my computer.

More about : laptop dedicated gpu nvidia 810m

July 11, 2017 5:34:10 AM

Your laptop will use the integrated graphics unless your computer thinks you need Nvidia graphics. That being said, if some applications are GPU intensive and are still using the integrated graphics, do the following. Otherwise there is nothing wrong with your laptop/PC.

First make sure the DVI is plugged into the graphics card and not the motherboard (just for PC users). I am generalizing this answer so anyone with similar issues can solve this. If you are on a PC, you might not have all of these options available to you. You should still go through all of them and find what works best for you.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Laptops:
The dedicated GPU and onboard GPU MUST always be enabled. I suggest you update the Intel(R) HD Graphics driver from your manufacturers website. Do not disable your Intel GPU.
Nvidia Optimus (laptops) switches from integrated graphics (saves power) to dedicated graphics when it needs to.

[done] Try to run your computer in "Maximum Performance" under windows power settings.

If you uninstall/disable your integrated graphics it'll change from "Intel HD xxxx" to "Microsoft Basic VGA Adapter" and more than likely turn your monitor off. So don't do so!

[done] Go into your Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Global Settings > Select to use High Performance Processor/Nvidia card

If you tried that and it doesn't work, set the individual program (ie. warhammer, minecraft, etc) to launch with it in the programs list ("Program Settings" directly beside "Global Settings")

This will force games to launch using the Nvidia GPU.

Now for PCs and if the above doesn't work for laptop users:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to surround, PhysX and make sure 810m is selected.

If that still doesn't work, go into the BIOS and do the following:

Disable the on-board graphics, possibly by disabling any shared graphics memory (or setting allocation to automatic).

Or

Set the primary adapter to be the dedicated card, PCI-e x16 or similar (BIOS dependent).

In some cases (mostly laptops) right-click on the game icon and click "Run with graphics processor". You could choose from the options as "integrated graphics" and "High performance Nvidia Graphics".
m
0
l
July 11, 2017 6:11:21 AM

mbilal2 said:
Your laptop will use the integrated graphics unless your computer thinks you need Nvidia graphics. That being said, if some applications are GPU intensive and are still using the integrated graphics, do the following. Otherwise there is nothing wrong with your laptop/PC.

First make sure the DVI is plugged into the graphics card and not the motherboard (just for PC users). I am generalizing this answer so anyone with similar issues can solve this. If you are on a PC, you might not have all of these options available to you. You should still go through all of them and find what works best for you.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Laptops:
The dedicated GPU and onboard GPU MUST always be enabled. I suggest you update the Intel(R) HD Graphics driver from your manufacturers website. Do not disable your Intel GPU.
Nvidia Optimus (laptops) switches from integrated graphics (saves power) to dedicated graphics when it needs to.

[done] Try to run your computer in "Maximum Performance" under windows power settings.

If you uninstall/disable your integrated graphics it'll change from "Intel HD xxxx" to "Microsoft Basic VGA Adapter" and more than likely turn your monitor off. So don't do so!

[done] Go into your Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Global Settings > Select to use High Performance Processor/Nvidia card

If you tried that and it doesn't work, set the individual program (ie. warhammer, minecraft, etc) to launch with it in the programs list ("Program Settings" directly beside "Global Settings")

This will force games to launch using the Nvidia GPU.

Now for PCs and if the above doesn't work for laptop users:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to surround, PhysX and make sure 810m is selected.

If that still doesn't work, go into the BIOS and do the following:

Disable the on-board graphics, possibly by disabling any shared graphics memory (or setting allocation to automatic).

Or

Set the primary adapter to be the dedicated card, PCI-e x16 or similar (BIOS dependent).

In some cases (mostly laptops) right-click on the game icon and click "Run with graphics processor". You could choose from the options as "integrated graphics" and "High performance Nvidia Graphics".


I tried everything of this. Nothing work.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 11, 2017 6:20:30 AM

Are you sure it's using the integrated graphics and not the GPU? What processor do you have? You shouldn't be getting more than 25fps if you're using Integrated graphics. What resolution is your screen running at?
m
0
l
July 11, 2017 6:31:48 AM

mbilal2 said:
Are you sure it's using the integrated graphics and not the GPU? What processor do you have? You shouldn't be getting more than 25fps if you're using Integrated graphics. What resolution is your screen running at?


ASUS X540SC
CPU: Intel Pentium N3700 (1.6 - 2.4)
RAM: 4GB
GPU: NVIDIA GEFORCE 810M

For example Perfect world International launcher have graphics settings with diagnostic. So, in it I see "Intel HD graphics".
Secondly Nvidia Control panel have "Display GPU activity".
m
0
l
July 11, 2017 6:45:27 AM

Beats me. If you have right clicked on Perfect world International launcher and clicked run with Nvidia Graphics processor, it MUST run with the GPU.
m
0
l
July 11, 2017 8:02:53 AM

Ok... I'm going to give this one more last shot.. See if you can find GameSettings.ini in your documents folder or the game installation folder... I'll try to force it to use the graphics card. Could be named as something else but it should end with .ini

Open it with a notepad and do this:

Change the settings:
Under [DISPLAY_SETTINGS]
GPUAdapter=0 to GPUAdapter=1

Save it and see if it works. If no, keep going.

Under [HARDWARE_INFO]
GPUVendor=INTEL to GPUVendor=NVIDIA
GPUDeviceId=0x0166 to GPUDeviceId=0x1213

And mabye GPUSubSysId=0xfb121179

You wil find
"GPUVendor" in Device Manager, Display adapters, "choose your nvidia card", and right click on Properties, Details, Compatible Ids, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1213

"GPUSubSysId" in Device Manager, Display adapters, "choose your nvidia card", and right click on Properties, Details, Hardware Ids, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1213&SUBSYS_FB121179

If this doesn't work, reinstall the game :s
m
0
l
less than a minute ago

mbilal2 said:
Ok... I'm going to give this one more last shot.. See if you can find GameSettings.ini in your documents folder or the game installation folder... I'll try to force it to use the graphics card. Could be named as something else but it should end with .ini

Open it with a notepad and do this:

Change the settings:
Under [DISPLAY_SETTINGS]
GPUAdapter=0 to GPUAdapter=1

Save it and see if it works. If no, keep going.

Under [HARDWARE_INFO]
GPUVendor=INTEL to GPUVendor=NVIDIA
GPUDeviceId=0x0166 to GPUDeviceId=0x1213

And mabye GPUSubSysId=0xfb121179

You wil find
"GPUVendor" in Device Manager, Display adapters, "choose your nvidia card", and right click on Properties, Details, Compatible Ids, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1213

"GPUSubSysId" in Device Manager, Display adapters, "choose your nvidia card", and right click on Properties, Details, Hardware Ids, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1213&SUBSYS_FB121179

If this doesn't work, reinstall the game :s



I can't find this file.
I have same problem with all games, that i installed.
m
0
l
Tom’s guide in the world
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Ireland
  • UK
Follow Tom’s guide
Subscribe to our newsletter
  • add to twitter
  • add to facebook
  • ajouter un flux RSS