Is 128 GB SSD with installed windows 10 enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kostas Kazama

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017
Is 128 GB SSD with installed windows 10 enough? And how much GB windows 10 OS is in order to find out my real free space on the SSD?

Solution
A 120/128 is marginal.

Yes, you can make it work, but you'll spend a lot of time massaging the space on it.
The base install of Win 10 will be around 20GB. And then you run all the current and future updates.
An SSD needs 15-20% free space, so for a 128GB drive, you really only have 85GB space you can actually use.

And if you try to keep it "windows only" you're throwing away 1/2 the functionality of the SSD. You want your applications on it, to benefit from that same speed boost.
All those utilities and stuff.

Finally, the price v size ratio favors a 250GB over a 120GB.

mdd1963

Distinguished
If just installing Chrome and Office to the SSD, sure; once you wish to put on 45 applications and 15 games and a video library, you will wish you had more space very soon. However, as other said, you can install things to slower spinning (and more spacious!) drives just as easily....

psoohoo

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Windows 10 itself occupies less than 20Gb
So depends on what you plan to use it for,
If its just to surf and office tasks (word processing, email, etc) than it should be more than enough.
Games, and storing music, movies or photos, maybe not.

Mr5oh

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
Technically yes, but realistically no... SSD are cheap enough, go at least 256 GB. I've tried to go down this path before. Go at least 256. Even now, I have a 512 GB M2 drive with Windows 10 installed on it, and still install all my Steam stuff to a standard drive. My Windows 10 drive, with no games installed to it, just Windows and a couple basic apps installed. It's already 54.2 GB. Note I use Linux for basically everything except gaming, and then even then I use Linux for a Steam games when available. So I hardly ever use that Windows partition, and it's still 54 GB.

Seriously do yourself a favor and go at least 256 GB, it won't cost that much more, and you'll have enough room to breath at least when you install a few more things to the SSD. You still won't be installing games to it but you won't immediately run out free space.

USAFRet

Illustrious
A 120/128 is marginal.

Yes, you can make it work, but you'll spend a lot of time massaging the space on it.
The base install of Win 10 will be around 20GB. And then you run all the current and future updates.
An SSD needs 15-20% free space, so for a 128GB drive, you really only have 85GB space you can actually use.

And if you try to keep it "windows only" you're throwing away 1/2 the functionality of the SSD. You want your applications on it, to benefit from that same speed boost.
All those utilities and stuff.

Finally, the price v size ratio favors a 250GB over a 120GB.

Solution
Sep 23, 2018
If you're gonna load it with Visual Studio, WSL with several distros or other heavy applications then it won't be enough. At max you will always have to scrap space from the end of the harddisk by removing stuff.

Oct 29, 2018
Which would you choose (if you had to)? 240GB SSD with external drives for data or a 1TB HD. For Windows 10, Adobe CC (Photoshop and Lightroom), PhotoStage Slideshow Producer, Firefox. All welcome to chime in please. Thank you.

USAFRet

Illustrious

240GB SSD or larger for the OS and applications. Then, whatever other drives you need.
I wouldn't build a PC without an SSD for at least the C drive.

But please start your own thread on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.