Your question

Laptop Keyboard Troubles

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Dell Inspiron
  • Dell
  • Keyboards
Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
March 11, 2017 9:04:28 PM

I've got a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series laptop, I was using it this morning with no problem but once I got back home I'd attempted to type and my keyboard wouldn't respond. I plugged in an old mechanical and once I did the computer registered all the key's I'd pressed and typed into the textbox I had been attempting to type in. I've tried a few things already to fix it but nothing so far has worked; any ideas as to how I can fix this predicament?

More about : laptop keyboard troubles

a c 617 D Laptop
March 11, 2017 10:29:24 PM

Try this...

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.

If this doesn't work, you may wish to try connecting an external keyboard and see if it works fine. If it does, then it could be the keys themselves that are the issue.
m
0
l
March 13, 2017 12:50:48 PM

webworkings said:
Try this...

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.

If this doesn't work, you may wish to try connecting an external keyboard and see if it works fine. If it does, then it could be the keys themselves that are the issue.


As it would seem this did nothing. I do have a mechanical plugged in as of having made this thread and it works fine. I can try and type on my built in keyboard like I said before and it'll only register and type after I plug in my mechanical. So say I typed in "google.com" into my webrowser, nothing would be there, but once I plug in my mechanical it all shows up. Therefore I don't think it is a hardware issue.

m
0
l
Related resources
a c 617 D Laptop
March 13, 2017 2:32:54 PM

That is extremely odd. Not one I have run into before. You could try starting the computer in "Safe Mode" and see if it works then. If it does, it may well be software on the device (virus, malware, etc.,) instead of hardware or drivers.
m
0
l
March 16, 2017 2:45:07 PM

webworkings said:
That is extremely odd. Not one I have run into before. You could try starting the computer in "Safe Mode" and see if it works then. If it does, it may well be software on the device (virus, malware, etc.,) instead of hardware or drivers.


Safe mode hadn't done anything, I checked with my anti-virus for anything and it picked up nothing.
m
0
l
a c 617 D Laptop
March 16, 2017 3:20:16 PM

If an external keyboard works, and the drivers are not the problem, nor anything malicious on the computer, then it may well be the physical attached keyboard.
m
0
l
March 19, 2017 6:20:14 PM

webworkings said:
If an external keyboard works, and the drivers are not the problem, nor anything malicious on the computer, then it may well be the physical attached keyboard.


What could cause this though, no damaged was caused to the laptop while I was gone, nobody had touched it.
m
0
l
a c 617 D Laptop
March 19, 2017 9:15:18 PM

Apologies, but that one I can't answer. :) 
m
0
l
Tom’s guide in the world
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Ireland
  • UK
Follow Tom’s guide
Subscribe to our newsletter
  • add to twitter
  • add to facebook
  • ajouter un flux RSS