Are £300 Gaming Headsets worth it?

Moritz_1

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016
Right now I have got the Turtle Beach X12, they were quite cheap, sound decent, but are hugely uncomfortable and really hurt after a just a short time. In bass heavy situations, like when a tank shoots at me in battlefield, the X12s also feel like the earpieces are about to explode (in a bad way), and the sound isn't accurately presented anymore.

So I have been looking at the Audio Technika ATH ADG1X that currently cost around £290. I am not an audiophile but Audio Technika are known for producing very good headphones. The microphone also has a really good sound (heard on youtube) and they are open-back headphones, which I heard give you a very natural and full sound experience.
The comfort, which is praised in many reviews is also very promising, but this is obviously something I would have to see for myself.
This is generally the first headset that ticks all the boxes, with all other headsets on the market being flawed in one or the other way, according to reviews. The price is although very high.
Alternatively, I was looking at the Turtle Beach Elite Pro Headset, but I would rather trust a company that has a good reputation in the sound and music industry.

So do you guys think that the Audio Technikas are worth it, or should I save the money or go for something cheaper?

Solution
Here's my 2 cents. Or 2 pence. Whatever.

Audio Technika makes fantastic headphones. I have an ATH-M30 (ancient, I know) and an ATH-m50x, and both easily sound as good as $200 Sennheisers, from a hi-fi perspective. The ADG1X is probably super amazing, but I've never tried one either. The Antlion Modmic isn't particularly expensive either, but sounds far better than any microphone on any headset. Put the two together, and it's far cheaper than 300 pounds, and will sound far better on both your side, and your friends' side. As long as you don't mind having extra wires that you can strap together with included clips and extra zip ties, I'd recommend this over a dedicated headset any day.

If you're too cheap for the Modmic, the Zalman ZM1...

amtseung

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
Here's my 2 cents. Or 2 pence. Whatever.

Audio Technika makes fantastic headphones. I have an ATH-M30 (ancient, I know) and an ATH-m50x, and both easily sound as good as $200 Sennheisers, from a hi-fi perspective. The ADG1X is probably super amazing, but I've never tried one either. The Antlion Modmic isn't particularly expensive either, but sounds far better than any microphone on any headset. Put the two together, and it's far cheaper than 300 pounds, and will sound far better on both your side, and your friends' side. As long as you don't mind having extra wires that you can strap together with included clips and extra zip ties, I'd recommend this over a dedicated headset any day.

If you're too cheap for the Modmic, the Zalman ZM1 isn't bad. It cost me $7 here in the states, so it can't be that expensive over in the UK, and they too, sound better than just about every headset mic I've heard.

I own both mic solutions, and the Modmic does sound better than the ZM1, but the price difference is pretty big. Note about the ZM1, it takes more voltage through that thing than the motherboard can typically provide on a PC or laptop to function properly, so it sounds best through one of those cheap little USB audio adapters so it gets its 5v.

As a Planetside 2 player, I've heard all kinds of microphones and all kinds of headset microphones over the years. The best I've heard are dedicated microphone solutions mounted on a boom, the Modmic, and the ZM1. Everything else sounds tinny and grainy, like those 99c horrid boom mics from call centers in the 1990's.

Turtle Beaches are overpriced garbage. I've tried the $300 Turtle Beach headsets of a few years ago, and my $40 Pioneer SE-MJ31 headphones sounded better, let alone that awful tinny microphone.

Sorry I can't quote anything in British pounds. I'm American.

Solution

audie-tron25

Estimable
Mar 23, 2015
Although I can't speak for Audio-Technikas' (I haven't owned a pair before), you might want to consider looking at cheaper headphones like the HyperX Cloud Core/II or if you're not sure of spending that much. They are very comfortable (and even more with Brainwavz HM5 pads) and sound pretty decent for their price (much better than my Turtlebeach Z11's if that's any comparison). You might find value in higher end headsets, but that would be up to you. You can also still go with a separate microphone as well if you are looking for very high quality recording.