Your question
Solved

BSoD every time I open a program which uses my amd graphics card, if i just use integrated graphics no problems. Lenovo Y40.

Tags:
  • AMD
  • Graphics
Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
September 10, 2016 11:46:01 AM

I've had this laptop for a while now and mostly it's been fine. In mid august I updated my graphics drivers because 3d applications were running very slowly. After the update, everything was fine for a few days until suddenly my computer froze up completely. I restarted it, and got constant bluescreens every time. Eventually I managed to get into safe mode and disable my AMD R9 M275X, so that the computer would just always use the integrated graphics. At this point I could get the conputer to boot and log on and run any program without an error, but graphics intensive applications run at a fraction of the speed they did on my amd card, which is annoying to say the least. I used DDU to uninstall my amd drivers, and tried reinstalling the newest amd drivers as well as the original drivers Lenovo has on their website. With either set, the computer BSoDs when I open a program set to use the graphics card. Its working fine right now with the card disabled, but I would really like to get it fixed. The bluescreen logs say that the files ntoskrnl.exe, dxgkrnl.sys, dxgmms2.sys, and atikmpag.sys are always involved. Any help at all with this issue wpuld be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

More about : bsod time open program amd graphics card integrated graphics problems lenovo y40

a b À AMD
September 10, 2016 1:30:17 PM

Have you checked the laptop for heating and other issues? Also, you wouldn't happen to have a gaming recorder running would you?
m
0
l
September 10, 2016 1:49:36 PM

webworkings said:
Have you checked the laptop for heating and other issues? Also, you wouldn't happen to have a gaming recorder running would you?


I dont think I've ever installed a gaming recorder, so that can't be it. The laptop used to get very hot after extended use when using programs running with the amd card, but I cant really test that with the amd card enabled now because there will just be a bluescreen.

EDIT: Just got my first bluescreen while the amd drivers are disabled. The files responsible are dxgkrnl.sys, dxgmms2.sys, and watchdog.sys. There wasn't a specific cause, i went away from my laptop to heat up some food and when I came back it was un a bluescreen.
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 10, 2016 3:09:36 PM

My best advice would be to try uninstalling your Directx and reinstall it. Two of the three errors you are getting are DX files, since they seem to be affecting both of the graphics cards, we can most likely rule out a hardware issue. Sounds like corrupted files.
m
0
l
September 10, 2016 7:14:09 PM

JollyGreenGiant2 said:
My best advice would be to try uninstalling your Directx and reinstall it. Two of the three errors you are getting are DX files, since they seem to be affecting both of the graphics cards, we can most likely rule out a hardware issue. Sounds like corrupted files.


I think you're on to something with this!! My heart cautiously lifted xD. When I run DxDiag, I get a dialog that says that it "detected that a problem occurred the last time this program accessed DirectShow. Would you like to bypass DirectShow this time?" and if I choose not to bypass it, DxDiag crashes. Definitely something wrong there - so happy it isn't a hardware thing. What method would you suggest for reinstalling DirectX - isn't it basically a core library?

EDIT: I should mention I'm on Windows 10.
m
0
l
September 11, 2016 2:29:23 AM

Gristly said:
JollyGreenGiant2 said:
My best advice would be to try uninstalling your Directx and reinstall it. Two of the three errors you are getting are DX files, since they seem to be affecting both of the graphics cards, we can most likely rule out a hardware issue. Sounds like corrupted files.


I think you're on to something with this!! My heart cautiously lifted xD. When I run DxDiag, I get a dialog that says that it "detected that a problem occurred the last time this program accessed DirectShow. Would you like to bypass DirectShow this time?" and if I choose not to bypass it, DxDiag crashes. Definitely something wrong there - so happy it isn't a hardware thing. What method would you suggest for reinstalling DirectX - isn't it basically a core library?

EDIT: I should mention I'm on Windows 10.


Basically you just need to download the newest Directx and install it, it will replace all the older files. That should work. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/179113
m
0
l
September 11, 2016 5:54:28 AM

JollyGreenGiant2 said:
Gristly said:
JollyGreenGiant2 said:
My best advice would be to try uninstalling your Directx and reinstall it. Two of the three errors you are getting are DX files, since they seem to be affecting both of the graphics cards, we can most likely rule out a hardware issue. Sounds like corrupted files.


I think you're on to something with this!! My heart cautiously lifted xD. When I run DxDiag, I get a dialog that says that it "detected that a problem occurred the last time this program accessed DirectShow. Would you like to bypass DirectShow this time?" and if I choose not to bypass it, DxDiag crashes. Definitely something wrong there - so happy it isn't a hardware thing. What method would you suggest for reinstalling DirectX - isn't it basically a core library?

EDIT: I should mention I'm on Windows 10.


Basically you just need to download the newest Directx and install it, it will replace all the older files. That should work. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/179113


Unless I'm missing something on that page, doesn't it say there is no stand-alone update package for DirectX 12.0? There isn't a way you can just 'download' it, that's why I was asking. I tried going into the registry and changing my DirectX version number manually so that Windows would think that it needed to update, but that didn't work. I can't find any solutions on how to reinstall just DirectX, and I'd rather not have to reinstall Windows. That's why I'm asking - sorry for the confusion.
m
0
l
a b À AMD
September 11, 2016 2:19:55 PM

From Microsoft.... "There is no stand-alone update package for DirectX 11.3 or DirectX 12.0."

There has to be a way around this though. I am just not finding it so far.
m
0
l
September 11, 2016 8:42:28 PM

With DX now being an integrated part of windows 10, you could try to make a windows 10 boot/repair disk, and try to repair windows itself. I have seen some fixes for the specific files. http://www.solvusoft.com/en/files/bsod-blue-screen-erro...

Personally, if it was me i would back up what i can and do a fresh install of everything. but their are other things you can do in the link provided. Hope it helps. Im not to familiar with how windows 10 works yet, and not sure if their is a way to fix the registry. I know a program called CCleaner that i use, it helps with fixing registry problems. as .sys files are linked to the registry.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b À AMD
September 11, 2016 11:12:16 PM

I have to agree with JollyGreenGiant2 on this one in respect to reinstalling the OS. Everything I have found on this problem leads to that answer.

One of my many pet peeves with Windows 10, the removal of user choice. Bad bad idea.
Share
September 12, 2016 9:21:33 AM

Well, that's a pain in the butt. I'll make a backup and reinstall Windows this weekend, and let you know how it goes.
m
0
l
Tom’s guide in the world
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Ireland
  • UK
Follow Tom’s guide
Subscribe to our newsletter
  • add to twitter
  • add to facebook
  • ajouter un flux RSS