I have a HP 650, which recently when turning it on came up with a message saying boot device not found. Error 3F0.

HarryOgden

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
I have a HP 650, which recently when turning it on came up with a message saying boot device not found. Error 3F0.

So I tried another spare hard drive I had, but the same error came up. I tried the first hard drive in an external hard drive I have, and I'm able to access all of my files. Similarly, if I load up a windows installer and open diskpart, list disk, no fixed disks are found. To me, this sounds like a motherboard problem, but the BIOS works, and when the RAM is disconnected it beeps, so the motherboard seems to be okay. Could there be a problem with a cable, which is detachable from the motherboard to the HDD?

Hi,

Here are few things you can do that may help in identifying the issue.
- Go load BIOS and make sure that the HDD is listed.
- If it's listed normally make sure it's set as the first boot device then try booting it up again.
- If all these will not work unfortunately it's the motherboard not communicating with the HDD.
- Last troubleshooting step you can do is to remove the CMOS battery off your laptop then put it back in to reset BIOS.