2011 macbook, new motherboard/cpu

factory100023

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015
So i have a 2011 MBP 13 inch with a core i5-2415m and 8gb of ram (upgraded from 4 gb)...

It has served me well over the years and i'm beginning to notice that it has become pretty sluggish now... not because of hard drive but Raw Cpu performance.. the 2415m in it uses 35 watts of energy!!!! but it still lasts 4 hours on battery which is kinda impressive.

so i was thinking, can i replace the motherboard (CPU is soldered onto the motherboard) with another than has a CPU with a new architecture?? or am i better of just buying a new laptop?

ffg7

Splendid
ports might be in different positions compared to old board, that is 1 of the reasons why laptops are not very upgradeable compared to desktop. some of the new mac laptops can't even upgrade the ram & ssd drive as they are now part of the motherboard.

If you have to ask the question, laptops (Mac or Windoze) are not upgradable. U may add more ram, change out the HD, add a new WIFI card and that's about it.

Are u sure is the CPU, and is not because swapping is happening more often? Is the fan coming on more often now? you may want a heatsink re-pasting to hold off throttling.

factory100023

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015

Forgot to mention that i have applied Arctic silver 5 2 months ago, should i have used a different paste?

cdabc123

Estimable
Jun 9, 2015

no the paste is fine the issue is you bought a computer that is known for low performance and being extremely expensive. if you can sell it. the money you get should be more than enough to buy a decent laptop