DT 990 250 ohm + FiiO E10K Best setup for my budget?

Atlapro

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
Hello i am new to this forums and was wondering if you could help me out on this decision. Lately i have been thinking to upgrading to a nice and good Headphone setup i have never used one before but i just want a better sound quality then my in ear buds :p So i have done some research on the DT 990 PRO 250 ohms from Beyerdynamics and the FiiO E10K as AMP But i hear a lot of mixed feelings on both products. Would someone be able to suggest a better set up around the 250€ range the DT 990 pro 250ohms are 140€ atm seemed like a nice pick up for the product u get the FiiO on other hands is kinda expensive as i need to order it from some neighbour countries as they don't have it no where in belgium so its almost 100€

Better headphones without and AMP or Wireless or anything can be suggested aswell if u think they are better :)

if you want open style headphones with a wide soundstage, good positional audio, very comfortable pads, bright energetic treble and suprisingly good bass for an open can the dt990 may be right for you. 140euro is significantly less than the usa price and other brands of headphones which are commonly recommended are a bit boosted in price which makes the dt990 especially appealing.

perhaps shop amazon uk.

instead of the fiio e10k (dac + amp) perhaps look at a soundcard like the creative z (if you have a desktop) which would work and give you virtual surround if you're into gaming. or, you might be able to get by with the fiio a3 (formerly called the e11). just make sure on the a3 you swap it to high gain .

Atlapro

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014

Thanks for the quick answer i do have a desktop i just thought a sound card alone wasn't enough for the 250 ohms ones might look into the Creative Z. Is the E10K so bad then? or is it just worse then the other options u mentioned?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kilimanjaro-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-E11K/dp/B00MFMW29I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440583631&sr=8-1&keywords=FiiO+A3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blaster-Performance-Headphone-Beamforming-Microphone/dp/B009RPQA2G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440583661&sr=8-1&keywords=Creative+Z

there are mixed reviews. some say the dt990 is hard to drive and needs quality amplifiers while others claim they are easy. i think it depends on the volume levels you expect without distortion and whether or not you are using bass boost which can significantly change the power requirements of headphones.

i've certainly heard of people using the soundblaster z for the dt990 and are happy. there are also other people who use the e09k, e10k, e11/a3 and schiit magni.

the e10k is not bad, its just not just an amplifier. its a dac + amp (its like a soundcard, but it cannot do virtual surround only straight up 2.0). it also is not going to work for portable sources - only pc which you can use usb with. i thought if you wanted to use them portable a standalone amp might have been a better choice but you never specified your needs.

yes, that is the z.

in short: on the cheap i think you could manage with a z or the e10k sure. if you get the e10k you may need to use high gain to get the volume you want.

Atlapro

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014

Thanks for the explanations :)
And yes sorry i didn't specify what i needed it for its just for my pc. don't need it to be portable its like just a plus i guess if it had it. But im really considering the Creative Z as it looks good and seems like its a nice product.