Your question
Solved

Trouble with Laptop WiFi Connection

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Connection
  • WiFi
  • Components
Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
July 23, 2015 8:05:25 PM

A couple of days ago, my laptop began to have trouble with its WiFi connection. I have a NP8652-S which has the Killer Wireless-AC 1525. I tried reinstalling the drivers but this seems to not be the source of my troubles. When I say trouble with WiFi connection, I mean that the connection fluctuates (http://puu.sh/jaFXD/1a95060473.jpg) greatly and while sometimes I am receiving my full 30mbps, it seems to average at around 12mbps according to speedtest.net. I have tested other devices to make sure that its not my router and they all receive full speed. Does anyone have any ideas of what is causing this, and is there any more info that I should include?

Update: I'm still having issues and have tried just about every single solution but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any idea because I really need to fix this.

More about : trouble laptop wifi connection

a c 1519 D Laptop
July 28, 2015 8:20:09 AM

Update the router firmware, make sure you are testing at a short distance from the router not at various distances. See if there is a utility that controls the wireless card that can be uninstalled and just use the Windows options.
m
0
l
July 28, 2015 7:47:53 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Update the router firmware, make sure you are testing at a short distance from the router not at various distances. See if there is a utility that controls the wireless card that can be uninstalled and just use the Windows options.


There is currently no update that I could find for the router firmware and all of the tests were performed at the same distance. I'm currently looking for a "Windows option" but Im not quite sure what I'm looking for here because the killer wireless hardware uses its own drivers.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 1519 D Laptop
July 29, 2015 7:29:57 AM

GetJammin said:
hang-the-9 said:
Update the router firmware, make sure you are testing at a short distance from the router not at various distances. See if there is a utility that controls the wireless card that can be uninstalled and just use the Windows options.


There is currently no update that I could find for the router firmware and all of the tests were performed at the same distance. I'm currently looking for a "Windows option" but Im not quite sure what I'm looking for here because the killer wireless hardware uses its own drivers.


It may have it's own drivers, but you can set the wireless connection itself to be managed by Windows. See if the WLAN Autoconfig service is running, and look for an option in the network card software that looks like "have Windows manage the connections".
Share
July 29, 2015 7:36:41 PM

hang-the-9 said:
GetJammin said:
hang-the-9 said:
Update the router firmware, make sure you are testing at a short distance from the router not at various distances. See if there is a utility that controls the wireless card that can be uninstalled and just use the Windows options.


There is currently no update that I could find for the router firmware and all of the tests were performed at the same distance. I'm currently looking for a "Windows option" but Im not quite sure what I'm looking for here because the killer wireless hardware uses its own drivers.


It may have it's own drivers, but you can set the wireless connection itself to be managed by Windows. See if the WLAN Autoconfig service is running, and look for an option in the network card software that looks like "have Windows manage the connections".


Thank you so much man. I went to computer management and turned off AtherosSvc and Killer Service V2 while keeping WLAN Autoconfig on and it seems to have fixed my problem with inconsistency.

Edit: ...And I jinxed myself. It seems to slightly improved with the disabling of the two services but it still shows high instability after a couple of tests. So to recap I saw that WLAN Autoconfig was running but I'm not quite sure where to find "network card software that looks like "have Windows manage the connections"". What exactly should I be looking for here?
m
0
l
a c 1519 D Laptop
July 30, 2015 8:13:04 AM

GetJammin said:
hang-the-9 said:
GetJammin said:
hang-the-9 said:
Update the router firmware, make sure you are testing at a short distance from the router not at various distances. See if there is a utility that controls the wireless card that can be uninstalled and just use the Windows options.


There is currently no update that I could find for the router firmware and all of the tests were performed at the same distance. I'm currently looking for a "Windows option" but Im not quite sure what I'm looking for here because the killer wireless hardware uses its own drivers.


It may have it's own drivers, but you can set the wireless connection itself to be managed by Windows. See if the WLAN Autoconfig service is running, and look for an option in the network card software that looks like "have Windows manage the connections".


Thank you so much man. I went to computer management and turned off AtherosSvc and Killer Service V2 while keeping WLAN Autoconfig on and it seems to have fixed my problem with inconsistency.

Edit: ...And I jinxed myself. It seems to slightly improved with the disabling of the two services but it still shows high instability after a couple of tests. So to recap I saw that WLAN Autoconfig was running but I'm not quite sure where to find "network card software that looks like "have Windows manage the connections"". What exactly should I be looking for here?


There should be a wireless icon in the system tray, is it the default Windows one? Don't just turn off the services, uninstall the add-on programs, just not the drivers.
m
0
l
Tom’s guide in the world
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Ireland
  • UK
Follow Tom’s guide
Subscribe to our newsletter
  • add to twitter
  • add to facebook
  • ajouter un flux RSS