Your question
Closed

GPU Doesn't Show up & is not listed under Display in device manager

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Device Manager
  • Displays
  • Nvidia
  • Asus
  • GPUs
Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
July 21, 2015 2:28:09 AM

Hello all.

yesterday i bought a new Asus G551JW, After installing my windows, i tried to install my nVidia GPU (GTX 960m) but it it says that it "cannot find compatible hardware".
and i checked device manager but under Display it only show my Intel HD GPU (HD 4600).
i tried other windows too (like win 8 and 10 build 10240), still nothing.

and i cant find a good answer all over the internet. some people says that you have to change your GPU in BIOS, but i couldn't find anything that related to GPU in BIOS

I just payed $1,200, please help.
thank you all in advance.

More about : gpu show listed display device manager

July 21, 2015 5:45:50 AM

try getting the driver from NVIDIA instead of using device manager.
Score
0
July 21, 2015 5:53:38 AM

I do have the latest driver.
i download it from nvidia and even from Asus itself.

at in the end it says "cannot find compatible hardware" when i try to install them.
Score
0
Related resources
July 21, 2015 5:57:51 AM

I would try reinstalling the OS using the recovery partition and give it a try. I had to do that to a friends desktop that wasn't recognizing the driver a few weeks ago.
Score
0
July 21, 2015 6:02:38 AM

I Would but there is no Recovery Partition.

any other idea that i could try?
Score
0
July 21, 2015 6:09:57 AM

Have you tried going to device manager and choose show hidden devices?

Score
0
July 21, 2015 6:15:35 AM

yeah, i did that too.

i even updated my BIOS.

i cant think of anything.
?
Score
0
July 21, 2015 6:21:43 AM

Go to Asus website and download the chipset drivers and any pci drivers. I have a feeling that they got screwed up somewhere the chipset drivers can throw off a lot of different things on a laptop.
Score
1
July 22, 2015 4:38:51 AM

jhaydon81 said:
Go to Asus website and download the chipset drivers and any pci drivers. I have a feeling that they got screwed up somewhere the chipset drivers can throw off a lot of different things on a laptop.



No, I did that too. and still nothing.
and I send it back this morning.

anyway thanks for trying.

and when i heard from them, I'll post the answer here and let you know what was wrong.
(Asus MUST Answer me, cause this is bad)
Score
0
a c 2237 D Laptop
a c 392 Ĉ ASUS
a c 361 Î Nvidia
July 22, 2015 9:30:35 AM

Thenightmare12 said:
jhaydon81 said:
Go to Asus website and download the chipset drivers and any pci drivers. I have a feeling that they got screwed up somewhere the chipset drivers can throw off a lot of different things on a laptop.



No, I did that too. and still nothing.
and I send it back this morning.

anyway thanks for trying.

and when i heard from them, I'll post the answer here and let you know what was wrong.
(Asus MUST Answer me, cause this is bad)


This is not really an issue for Asus unless you bought the card from them as being compatible. They will in all likelihood just tell you to contact the video card maker (unless that is an Asus card also LOL), but even then you will go from "it's the computer" to "it's the card" back and forth.

You need to test the card in another computer to rule things out. If it works in another computer, then it's your computer.
Score
-1
July 23, 2015 12:22:10 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Thenightmare12 said:
jhaydon81 said:
Go to Asus website and download the chipset drivers and any pci drivers. I have a feeling that they got screwed up somewhere the chipset drivers can throw off a lot of different things on a laptop.



No, I did that too. and still nothing.
and I send it back this morning.

anyway thanks for trying.

and when i heard from them, I'll post the answer here and let you know what was wrong.
(Asus MUST Answer me, cause this is bad)


This is not really an issue for Asus unless you bought the card from them as being compatible. They will in all likelihood just tell you to contact the video card maker (unless that is an Asus card also LOL), but even then you will go from "it's the computer" to "it's the card" back and forth.

You need to test the card in another computer to rule things out. If it works in another computer, then it's your computer.


its a notebook, how the hell can I test the card with another computer.
its not a Desktop PC. okay?

But, Thanks.
Score
0
a c 2237 D Laptop
a c 392 Ĉ ASUS
a c 361 Î Nvidia
July 29, 2015 10:59:28 AM

Thenightmare12 said:
hang-the-9 said:
Thenightmare12 said:
jhaydon81 said:
Go to Asus website and download the chipset drivers and any pci drivers. I have a feeling that they got screwed up somewhere the chipset drivers can throw off a lot of different things on a laptop.



No, I did that too. and still nothing.
and I send it back this morning.

anyway thanks for trying.

and when i heard from them, I'll post the answer here and let you know what was wrong.
(Asus MUST Answer me, cause this is bad)


This is not really an issue for Asus unless you bought the card from them as being compatible. They will in all likelihood just tell you to contact the video card maker (unless that is an Asus card also LOL), but even then you will go from "it's the computer" to "it's the card" back and forth.

You need to test the card in another computer to rule things out. If it works in another computer, then it's your computer.


its a notebook, how the hell can I test the card with another computer.
its not a Desktop PC. okay?

But, Thanks.


You said "you tried to install your NVidia GPU" which to me reads you had that card and were installing it into that system (MXM slot). If you were just trying to install the drivers that is different.

If the computer was new, did it work before you install your own copy of Windows on it or did you not check that?
Score
0
Tom’s guide in the world
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Ireland
  • UK
Follow Tom’s guide
Subscribe to our newsletter
  • add to twitter
  • add to facebook
  • ajouter un flux RSS