Your question
Solved

HP Omen HELP: Intel Integrated Graphics used instead of Nvidia?

Tags:
  • Graphics
  • Nvidia
  • Hewlett Packard
Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
July 19, 2015 12:59:53 AM

So, the issue i'm having is very frustrating, as it basically nullifies the Omen's abilities as a gaming machine and reduces them to those of a normal laptop. And makes me feel like i vastly overpaid for it to begin with.

Instead of having my Omen run games with the nvidia graphics card (960M) like it's supposed to, it runs them with the intel integrated graphics, making the performance much MUCH worse. On every game i try to run.

I've read up about similar issues, and people have said it has something to do with altering some kind of setting about "switchable graphics" either in control panel somewhere or in the system BIOS.... but the thing is the Omen doesn't have that option in the BIOS, and there's nothing to be found in the control panel.

When i open up the nvidia control panel, i can successfully switch the "default" graphics card to the 960M, but it never actually gets used by any games.

For example, i'm consistently getting the same FPS on games such as TF2 (from 2007, around 20-30 fps) as i do on my old laptop from 2009-2010 which was significantly less pricey.

And before you ask, yes, i've updated all of my drivers. Everything that i could possibly update has been updated and i'm still having this issue.

I had my Omen custom-built with the 512 GB SSD and 16 GB Ram options, and it took 2+ weeks to get here. So if i have to get the thing sent for repairs or replaced, to say i'm not going to be happy is an understatement.

I'm hoping that someone can tell me what's wrong with my pc, and what to do about it.

Thanks.

More about : omen intel integrated graphics nvidia

July 19, 2015 3:08:56 AM

Look through the HP support documents on the attached link.

There is likely to be a BIOS Flash to address this sort of issue, or another user with a similar problem.

You should log a request there detailing the issue.


http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03048374
m
0
l
July 19, 2015 5:13:44 AM

Reynod said:
Look through the HP support documents on the attached link.

There is likely to be a BIOS Flash to address this sort of issue, or another user with a similar problem.

You should log a request there detailing the issue.


http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03048374


Updated the bios, nothing. But there is one other guy having the same issue right now on hp's forums.

m
0
l
Related resources
April 9, 2016 5:54:59 AM

Same problem here, but with 860m. Please help me guyz it is like nightmare for me
m
0
l

Best solution

February 17, 2017 7:54:52 PM

Hey guys, I came to this thread looking for an answer as well. Went to Geeksquad for a solution but they didn't seem to have a clue either.

After finding a solution on Lenovo's Support page I corrected my problem (Integrated card with priority over Nvidia), Link here:
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht078706

Basically you need to go to Manage 3D settings (on Nvidia Control Panel) and Either change the global settings to High performance or go to Program settings and assign Nvidia to each program you like to run on High performance.

The Omen runs as it should now.
Share
February 21, 2017 12:32:36 AM

Thanks !!

:) 
m
0
l
June 27, 2017 7:57:38 AM

Blacksyde said:
So, the issue i'm having is very frustrating, as it basically nullifies the Omen's abilities as a gaming machine and reduces them to those of a normal laptop. And makes me feel like i vastly overpaid for it to begin with.

Instead of having my Omen run games with the nvidia graphics card (960M) like it's supposed to, it runs them with the intel integrated graphics, making the performance much MUCH worse. On every game i try to run.

I've read up about similar issues, and people have said it has something to do with altering some kind of setting about "switchable graphics" either in control panel somewhere or in the system BIOS.... but the thing is the Omen doesn't have that option in the BIOS, and there's nothing to be found in the control panel.

When i open up the nvidia control panel, i can successfully switch the "default" graphics card to the 960M, but it never actually gets used by any games.

For example, i'm consistently getting the same FPS on games such as TF2 (from 2007, around 20-30 fps) as i do on my old laptop from 2009-2010 which was significantly less pricey.

And before you ask, yes, i've updated all of my drivers. Everything that i could possibly update has been updated and i'm still having this issue.

I had my Omen custom-built with the 512 GB SSD and 16 GB Ram options, and it took 2+ weeks to get here. So if i have to get the thing sent for repairs or replaced, to say i'm not going to be happy is an understatement.

I'm hoping that someone can tell me what's wrong with my pc, and what to do about it.

Thanks.


nikuliko said:
Same problem here, but with 860m. Please help me guyz it is like nightmare for me


please guys i'm confused here.. i checked what graphics card my HP Omen came with, i found out that it came with an Intel (R) HD graphics 630 instead of the Nvidia Geforce Gtx 1050 as stated in the features.. i really dont understand, is it switchable or what do i do so i can use the nvidia graphics card
m
0
l
July 18, 2017 3:03:52 PM

Cypha-Camp said:
Blacksyde said:
So, the issue i'm having is very frustrating, as it basically nullifies the Omen's abilities as a gaming machine and reduces them to those of a normal laptop. And makes me feel like i vastly overpaid for it to begin with.

Instead of having my Omen run games with the nvidia graphics card (960M) like it's supposed to, it runs them with the intel integrated graphics, making the performance much MUCH worse. On every game i try to run.

I've read up about similar issues, and people have said it has something to do with altering some kind of setting about "switchable graphics" either in control panel somewhere or in the system BIOS.... but the thing is the Omen doesn't have that option in the BIOS, and there's nothing to be found in the control panel.

When i open up the nvidia control panel, i can successfully switch the "default" graphics card to the 960M, but it never actually gets used by any games.

For example, i'm consistently getting the same FPS on games such as TF2 (from 2007, around 20-30 fps) as i do on my old laptop from 2009-2010 which was significantly less pricey.

And before you ask, yes, i've updated all of my drivers. Everything that i could possibly update has been updated and i'm still having this issue.

I had my Omen custom-built with the 512 GB SSD and 16 GB Ram options, and it took 2+ weeks to get here. So if i have to get the thing sent for repairs or replaced, to say i'm not going to be happy is an understatement.

I'm hoping that someone can tell me what's wrong with my pc, and what to do about it.

Thanks.


nikuliko said:
Same problem here, but with 860m. Please help me guyz it is like nightmare for me


please guys i'm confused here.. i checked what graphics card my HP Omen came with, i found out that it came with an Intel (R) HD graphics 630 instead of the Nvidia Geforce Gtx 1050 as stated in the features.. i really dont understand, is it switchable or what do i do so i can use the nvidia graphics card


same here cypha, idk if i was scammed or something because it states its gtx 1050 but instead i got intel graphics 530 and nvidia gtx 960. should i bring it back or is that just the laptop?

m
0
l
July 24, 2017 6:31:57 PM

Sosaaaa said:
Cypha-Camp said:
Blacksyde said:
So, the issue i'm having is very frustrating, as it basically nullifies the Omen's abilities as a gaming machine and reduces them to those of a normal laptop. And makes me feel like i vastly overpaid for it to begin with.

Instead of having my Omen run games with the nvidia graphics card (960M) like it's supposed to, it runs them with the intel integrated graphics, making the performance much MUCH worse. On every game i try to run.

I've read up about similar issues, and people have said it has something to do with altering some kind of setting about "switchable graphics" either in control panel somewhere or in the system BIOS.... but the thing is the Omen doesn't have that option in the BIOS, and there's nothing to be found in the control panel.

When i open up the nvidia control panel, i can successfully switch the "default" graphics card to the 960M, but it never actually gets used by any games.

For example, i'm consistently getting the same FPS on games such as TF2 (from 2007, around 20-30 fps) as i do on my old laptop from 2009-2010 which was significantly less pricey.

And before you ask, yes, i've updated all of my drivers. Everything that i could possibly update has been updated and i'm still having this issue.

I had my Omen custom-built with the 512 GB SSD and 16 GB Ram options, and it took 2+ weeks to get here. So if i have to get the thing sent for repairs or replaced, to say i'm not going to be happy is an understatement.

I'm hoping that someone can tell me what's wrong with my pc, and what to do about it.

Thanks.


nikuliko said:
Same problem here, but with 860m. Please help me guyz it is like nightmare for me


please guys i'm confused here.. i checked what graphics card my HP Omen came with, i found out that it came with an Intel (R) HD graphics 630 instead of the Nvidia Geforce Gtx 1050 as stated in the features.. i really dont understand, is it switchable or what do i do so i can use the nvidia graphics card


same here cypha, idk if i was scammed or something because it states its gtx 1050 but instead i got intel graphics 530 and nvidia gtx 960. should i bring it back or is that just the laptop?





I'm having the same problem, but instead of games Photoshop and Lightroom were using the integrated card. I took it to Best Buy 6 hours after unboxing the laptop and the Geek Squad was able to update the drivers and update the 3D function to get Photoshop to recognize the Nvidia 1050 ti in my Omen, but Lightroom and the screen are both still using the integrated card rather than the Nvidia card. It's incredibly frustrating. Why did I bother to upgrade the video card if everything is going to use the crappy integrated card?

m
0
l
Related resources
Tom’s guide in the world
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Ireland
  • UK
Follow Tom’s guide
Subscribe to our newsletter
  • add to twitter
  • add to facebook
  • ajouter un flux RSS