300-600 $ Headset (headphones) options?

Gnuz

Estimable
Mar 29, 2015
I hope you guys can help figure out what is the best headset (headphones and a mic) option around 300 $.

I currently have a razer carchrias headset, which is giving me all kinds of problems. So I've decided to toss it away and buy a new one, and I would like to do it properly this time. But I've gotten confused by the amount of options and advice. I started looking for a gaming headset, and according to some the Sennheiser PC 363d is the best option. Initially I found that it got a lot of praise, but then seemly most say its not worth it's price in terms of sound quality. Searching a bit more I found it to be a broad agreement that gaming headsets are trash compared to quality headphones. The advice is then to buy a good set of headphones (open?) as well as a standalone mic. I thin I lean to this option. All this is fine but I don't feel any wiser on what to buy with so many options available.

I know most headphones and even high-end headsets will be an improvement compared to my current headset, but I would like to do more than just slightly improve. Since it will be my only audio output, I will be using it for gaming as well as listening to music and when watching movies and tv-series on netflix and HBO, I would like to get this right and get a pair of quality headphones with great sound that can do all this, if possible.
When I game, i'm often in a voice call with my friends so I need a mic as well (they currently tell me, the sound quality of my mic is really bad), whether it be part of a headset or standalone. - I was thinking of perhaps going with a modmic solution or maybe a snowball microphone. The main focus of my budget would be on the headphones.

I currently do not have a sound card in my build, but would buy one if necessary. My motherboard is a Asus MB Z97-AR if that matters (I don't know if it will have problems powering some headphones?) I don't know enough to spot which price range is necessary to get a great product, that said I'm looking for a solution around 400 $. I don't mind spending more if need be though, but definitely not more than 600 total.

Solution

In my opinion, Audio-technica ATH-M70X is the way to go. But you could also buy some Sennheiser too. Any pair of headphones with high fidelity and neutral sound. But I trust those two brands.

teengohan389

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
If you're on a desktop, then you might want to change your set up a bit. Buy a separate mic to attach near your face and some really good headphones that are 350 ohms. It's the best set up for excellent sound. I don't agree on headsets, lots of them are poorly made.

teengohan389

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015

In my opinion, Audio-technica ATH-M70X is the way to go. But you could also buy some Sennheiser too. Any pair of headphones with high fidelity and neutral sound. But I trust those two brands.

Solution

Gnuz

Estimable
Mar 29, 2015
I think I'll just make an update, since I still haven't decided. I have decided to use a modmic with the headphones I'm buying, but I haven't settled on which.I've kinda considered beyerdynamic’s DT 990, DT 880 and the HiFiMan's HE-400.

But yeah, I'm probably looking for open or semi-open, around headphones. From what I have gathered, choice depends a lot on which type of sound one likes. But I don't know what would be my choice in preferred style of sound. - I think I have a generel broad taste in music. I mostly listens to diffent tracks I find and enjoy, not a specific genre. I listen to some dubstep, some rock some rap, a bit of pop. What I think I enjoy the most and listen to the most currently, im not sure of the specific genre, I think its just instrumental/orchestral(?). But something like "Dragonland" or "Empire of Angels" by Thomas Bergersen. (It might be electronic though?) Something like that, but in different moods. Also soundtracks or scores of movies I like. That is probably what I listen to most at the moment.

I'm looking for headphones, which will be good for gaming, but its not going to be the only purpose. If I can get something diverse enough, then I'd like something which also does movies and series sound well. I will be using the headphones for this purpose as much as gaming. Comfortability is important, I don't have other options for output, so I will be using them for extended periods of time.

theLeggo

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014
If you are wanting something you can wear all day, and is a good all arounder, I would suggest Sennheiser HD600s. They are not the best if you are a competitive FPS gamer, something like CS:GO, but for everything else they are great, and scale well with different amps.

Another one would be Fidelio X2's, which don't require an amp and DAC, a detachable cable so if you wanted the Vmoda BoomPro mic you can get that, and a good soundstage for competitive gaming even.

Also, to toss another one out, the AKG k7xx or K712 will be great for all day comfort, but need an amp.