Your question
Solved

good programming laptop

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Programming
Last response: in Laptop General Discussion
January 2, 2015 5:50:41 AM

Hi everyone,
I need a laptop for programming in java, c, javascript,html,sql and sometimes for designing issues. So I've found Asus S551LN-CJ200H (i7, 8GB, 1TB+24GB SSD, 15.6", 4GB GFX) . is it good for my needs or any other offers?

More about : good programming laptop

January 2, 2015 6:06:37 AM

I work with programmers, I am in the IT department of a software company. This is what we do for them:

Set them up with 16 gigs on their laptops (they run lots of applications, as well as virtual machines as test environments and it's needed), upgrade their hard-drive to a full SSD (500gb, makes a huge difference in opening heavy applications like SQL manager and Visual Studio).

I really recommend getting something similar to that (16 gigs with 1 500GB ssd).
m
0
l
January 2, 2015 6:26:13 AM

Xyos said:
I work with programmers, I am in the IT department of a software company. This is what we do for them:

Set them up with 16 gigs on their laptops (they run lots of applications, as well as virtual machines as test environments and it's needed), upgrade their hard-drive to a full SSD (500gb, makes a huge difference in opening heavy applications like SQL manager and Visual Studio).

I really recommend getting something similar to that (16 gigs with 1 500GB ssd).


Thanks for your reply,
Aren't these specifications for professionals? I'm just IT student and actually i'm at beginner level. Still should I get 16 gigs with 1 500GB ssd?

m
0
l
Related resources
January 2, 2015 6:37:53 AM

As a student myself in Computer Science, which also works; I would say the specs you have should be fine to start you off, but may look at getting something better in the long run. Xyos is correct with the build as it is needed for a dev, but not for a beginner.

Also Asus (with my own experience) has had great customer service and would certainly recommend them.
m
0
l

Best solution

January 2, 2015 7:09:52 AM

zeynab_1995 said:
Xyos said:
I work with programmers, I am in the IT department of a software company. This is what we do for them:

Set them up with 16 gigs on their laptops (they run lots of applications, as well as virtual machines as test environments and it's needed), upgrade their hard-drive to a full SSD (500gb, makes a huge difference in opening heavy applications like SQL manager and Visual Studio).

I really recommend getting something similar to that (16 gigs with 1 500GB ssd).


Thanks for your reply,
Aren't these specifications for professionals? I'm just IT student and actually i'm at beginner level. Still should I get 16 gigs with 1 500GB ssd?



That would be ideal for you, but I don't know your workload so I can't say for sure. Maybe as a student 8 gigs and a standard SSD would suffice if you are constrained by a budget.
Share
January 7, 2015 1:41:36 PM

Xyos said:
zeynab_1995 said:
Xyos said:
I work with programmers, I am in the IT department of a software company. This is what we do for them:

Set them up with 16 gigs on their laptops (they run lots of applications, as well as virtual machines as test environments and it's needed), upgrade their hard-drive to a full SSD (500gb, makes a huge difference in opening heavy applications like SQL manager and Visual Studio).

I really recommend getting something similar to that (16 gigs with 1 500GB ssd).


Thanks for your reply,
Aren't these specifications for professionals? I'm just IT student and actually i'm at beginner level. Still should I get 16 gigs with 1 500GB ssd?



That would be ideal for you, but I don't know your workload so I can't say for sure. Maybe as a student 8 gigs and a standard SSD would suffice if you are constrained by a budget.


Thank you for reply. Since I can't find a laptop with 1 500gb ssd in my country I've decided to buy HP Envy 15-j004( Core i7 4th Gen (haswell) 16GB RAM 1TB HDD ) and to upgrade it to 500gb ssd.
m
0
l
Tom’s guide in the world
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Ireland
  • UK
Follow Tom’s guide
Subscribe to our newsletter
  • add to twitter
  • add to facebook
  • ajouter un flux RSS