HP 630 Notebook, Won't Start, Power and Network LED blinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterpeter1992

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Hi, I have a laptop HP 630 LJ514UT Notebook PC - Intel Core i3-370M 2.40GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, DVDRW, 15.6" Display, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Bought in November 2011 in the US, but I live in Venezuela right now.

When I press the power button, it does not make a sound or anything, it just starts blinking the Power button and the Wireless Network button, indefinitely.

I performed a Hard Reset, I have an identical laptop, so I tried the other charger, used the other laptop's battery and nothing, those two leds keep blinking. I even reseated the RAM.

I live in Venezuela, so HP service is out of the question, I just would like someone to tell me what those two leds mean, so I can start tinkering with the laptop, I'm willing to dissassemble it, and reseat the CPU, even solder stuff if it comes to that.

In case it is useful, the last time I used it, I had it on a few hours, when I went to shut it down I found a blue screen and the laptop very hot, I shut it down, in a few hours I tried to turn it on, and this is when I noticed the problem.

THanks in advance.

Solution
So, I somehow fixed my laptop. I dissassembled it with the help of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZK0ETNWOgw (very easy, just time consuming the first time). I got to the cpu I took it out, changed the thermal paste, put it back in and then reassembled the laptop.

When I pushed the power button, the same leds blinked, I thought it was dead. But then, I thought of exchanging the RAM from another identical laptop (#2) I have. I did, and the laptop #2 that worked before did not work with the "bad" RAM, the lights blinked the same, and the fan did not start.

But the first laptop that didn't even started the fan, this time the fan turned on, did some noises, and in about 30 seconds it shutted down, so I thought maybe I did...
If the power and the network leds are blinking it means that
a) the power is on
b) the network modules are on

If they are blinking then it is most likely that for some reason it is not loading windows from the hdd. Have you tried running windows off a disk?

masterpeter1992

Honorable
May 17, 2012
So, I somehow fixed my laptop. I dissassembled it with the help of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZK0ETNWOgw (very easy, just time consuming the first time). I got to the cpu I took it out, changed the thermal paste, put it back in and then reassembled the laptop.

When I pushed the power button, the same leds blinked, I thought it was dead. But then, I thought of exchanging the RAM from another identical laptop (#2) I have. I did, and the laptop #2 that worked before did not work with the "bad" RAM, the lights blinked the same, and the fan did not start.

But the first laptop that didn't even started the fan, this time the fan turned on, did some noises, and in about 30 seconds it shutted down, so I thought maybe I did not connect right the display. So I left the RAM modules like before, once I did this, the laptop turned the fans on and did the starting up noises WITH the "bad" RAM, the display still wouldn't come on.

I exchanged the RAM modules again, this time the laptop did turned on, the display turned on with a message that it had overheated the last time......Booted and it was normal

I did at one point ran Memtest86 with a USB drive, but on the "good" RAM just to see if it got the laptop to boot.

So I can't know for sure what the problem was, but I think the solution was the exchanging back and forth of the memory modules.

I have to say that I got the laptop #2 that now had the "bad" RAM module to boot normally, just by turning it off and on several times.

The problem obviously wasn't CPU, Battery, Charger, or soldering problems on the MOBO like many suggested to me.

Hope this helps anyone

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.