800$ Laptop for Programming/Games

3n4n0

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
1. What is your budget?

Less than 800$ dollars

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

I don't care too much about the screen size.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Don't care too much about it.
Enough to read a book in the laptop.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable.

5. How much battery life do you need?

At least 4 hours, for programming.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Yes, for example:

CS:GO
Mirror's Edge
Divinity Original Sin

Don't care too much about the settings, meanwhile it runs smoothly. It can be low-med.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Programming, and testing physics simulation programs (I need the computer to be able to withstand several hours/days working)

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

More than 500Gb

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

I don't know too much about shops, but I was thinking in:

Newegg
BestBuy
Amazon

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

More than 4 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

It is not necessary, as I can buy an external drive.
DVD ROM/Writer

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

No preference.

13. What country do you live in?

Chile, but I am buying in USA.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

My first need is a portable device to program (keyboard is important), second is to watch movies and reading, third is to play games.

Solution
The specs on the refurb model are slightly different than the new one, but nothing is significant. The processor is just barely better on the refurb but the graphics are slightly worse. Generally you'll max the GPU before the CPU unless you're using a very specific game or something like Dolphin Emulator, which is almost entirely CPU dependent. Even then you won't see a huge increase or anything.

For $20 difference I would go new, plus that refurb model in particular seems to have a few too many reviewers complaining of a DOA. The only advantage you get from that is $20 saved and 250GB extra drive space. Much shorter warranty period on it too, so if it dies after 3 months you're screwed. Best to get the new one.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
As someone who writes more code than I would like, I can say this: You won't get a hours of comfortable typing from a laptop. At least for me, it just doesn't happen. Having said that, a USB keyboard works perfectly fine, and you can deal with the cheaper chiclet keys when you have to go portable.

This laptop has a GT 840M, which is a lower to midrange mobile GPU. It should handle those games you listed, just not at high settings: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231960

In addition, it claims to have "up to a 5 hour battery". That typically means if you leave it open and do nothing but type, it might last 5 hours, but as soon as that CPU clocks up the battery life will drop, so it's a bit of a tight fit.

Then there's this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152586

This one has a similar i5 but weaker graphics, but it also has a 6-cell battery instead of a 4-cell, so you should see more battery life out of it, maybe 5-6 hours. Again, more use=shorter battery life.

If you want a bit better battery than that, you'd have to drop the dedicated graphics and go with less power for your physics simulations, then there are a few lower-powered models that will last an extra hour or two.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
The specs on the refurb model are slightly different than the new one, but nothing is significant. The processor is just barely better on the refurb but the graphics are slightly worse. Generally you'll max the GPU before the CPU unless you're using a very specific game or something like Dolphin Emulator, which is almost entirely CPU dependent. Even then you won't see a huge increase or anything.

For $20 difference I would go new, plus that refurb model in particular seems to have a few too many reviewers complaining of a DOA. The only advantage you get from that is $20 saved and 250GB extra drive space. Much shorter warranty period on it too, so if it dies after 3 months you're screwed. Best to get the new one.

Solution