Getting a $1200 vs $800 Laptop

brianbobbi

Estimable
Aug 24, 2014
I am looking for a laptop for college and I'm a math major so I need a laptop that is touch screen with good processing power and a good screen.
Also it would be great if I can do some gaming (eg. Battlefield 4 on low/medium settings).

I am looking at two laptops

I KNOW THE $1200 IS MORE POWERFUL, BUT IS IT RWALLY WORTH THE $400 EXTRA?

Solution
Hey!

Short answer to your question, yes! The difference is night and day.

The HP Envy is great if you're looking for a hybrid laptop for just touch-screen, but the performance is lacking.

In comparison to the ASUS, the Envy wouldn't be appropriate for your needs. If you need GOOD processing performance, the i7 in the ASUS is a true QUAD core, compared to the i7 in the Envy, which is a "U" Processor.

The "U" processor is a dual core i7 and the performance is comparable to a i5-4200M. The ASUS also has a dedicated GPU, which will run BF4 on high/ultra settings, while the Envy might run BF4 in low settings.

The $400 is completely worth it and justified. The difference in speeds are extremely noticeable in both processing and...
Hey!

Short answer to your question, yes! The difference is night and day.

The HP Envy is great if you're looking for a hybrid laptop for just touch-screen, but the performance is lacking.

In comparison to the ASUS, the Envy wouldn't be appropriate for your needs. If you need GOOD processing performance, the i7 in the ASUS is a true QUAD core, compared to the i7 in the Envy, which is a "U" Processor.

The "U" processor is a dual core i7 and the performance is comparable to a i5-4200M. The ASUS also has a dedicated GPU, which will run BF4 on high/ultra settings, while the Envy might run BF4 in low settings.

The $400 is completely worth it and justified. The difference in speeds are extremely noticeable in both processing and GPU-intensive gaming.

Let me know if you have any questions! :)

BTW I've been recommending that laptop to a ton of users on this forum lately because of it's great price and performance!

Solution

brianbobbi

Estimable
Aug 24, 2014
Wow, thanks for that awesome answer, it will be the solution, but just a few more questions:

How long will it take until this laptops hardware begins to become obsolete?

Is this laptop sturdy enough for school?

Do you recommend the insurance (Square trade)?

Is this the best laptop with all the features (touchscreen, full HD, powerful graphics) in this price range of sub-$1200 ?

I'm buying it today or tomorrow on Amazon so I really appreciate what you gotta say

I'd say about ... 3-4 years since the i7-4700MQ is a fairly high-end processor. It definitely is sturdy enough for school (most laptops are built great nowadays).

I haven't purchased Square Trade before, but I've always thought about it. If you really want to protect your investment and feel that it might get damaged during college, I'd go for it. My first laptop broke in college and it sucked because it was out of warranty!

YES! It definitely is the best within that range. I look around for laptops to recommend for people on this forum and my friends so the only laptop I could find for the BEST value was this.

It's no wonder Amazon ran out and need external sellers. This is the BEST sub-$1200 laptop you can find with more powerful option costing about $100-200 more.