Need help installing Windows 8.1 to 840 EVO SSD on Lenovo T420

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • SSD
  • Lenovo
  • Evo
Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
March 20, 2014 2:11:31 PM

Hi, I recently purchased a 120 GB Samsung EVO SSD to put in my Lenovo T420. I am doing a clean install and have Windows on a bootable USB flash drive. The problem I'm having is that the laptop doesn't recognize the flash drive and I can't install Windows. Hope someone can help me out, thanks

More about : installing windows 840 evo ssd lenovo t420

a c 900 D Laptop
March 20, 2014 2:16:54 PM

How did you put the install on the USB drive?
m
l
March 20, 2014 2:20:56 PM

Downloaded Windows 8.1 from the Microsoft store and chose the option "install by creating media".
m
l
Related resources
a c 900 D Laptop
March 20, 2014 2:22:07 PM

Check your BIOS settings, and ensure USB is first in the boot order.
m
l
March 20, 2014 2:23:40 PM

That's the problem, it doesn't show up in the BIOS, only the SSD is recognized. Does it matter that I'm using a MicroSD card that is in a USB adapter?
m
l
a c 900 D Laptop
March 20, 2014 2:27:17 PM

mets3214 said:
That's the problem, it doesn't show up in the BIOS, only the SSD is recognized. Does it matter that I'm using a MicroSD card that is in a USB adapter?

I don't know for sure, but possibly. If the BIOS doesn't recognize it as a boot device....
Can you redo it with a regular USB or DVD?
m
l
March 20, 2014 2:31:41 PM

USAFRet said:
mets3214 said:

I don't know for sure, but possibly. If the BIOS doesn't recognize it as a boot device....

Don't have a DVD or other USB Flashdrive
m
l
a c 900 D Laptop
March 20, 2014 2:35:00 PM

mets3214 said:
USAFRet said:
mets3214 said:

Well...if the BIOS doesn't recognize the MicroSD via an adapter....your options are limited.
m
l
March 20, 2014 2:37:30 PM

USAFRet said:
mets3214 said:
USAFRet said:
mets3214 said:

Well...if the BIOS doesn't recognize the MicroSD via an adapter....your options are limited.

I just found a regular USB one, ill let you know if it works or not.
m
l
March 20, 2014 3:01:34 PM

The laptop doesn't recognize the regular USB either....
m
l
a c 900 D Laptop
March 20, 2014 3:15:26 PM

mets3214 said:
The laptop doesn't recognize the regular USB either....

Can it recognize any properly constructed USB drive? Linux?

The BIOS should be able to say 'yes, that is a valid bootable port' without a specific drive or stick being plugged in.
If it doesn't.....DVD may be your only choice.
m
l
March 20, 2014 6:06:55 PM

I just put the SSD in another laptop, installed Windows and then put it back in the Lenovo. Working now, weird that it couldn't recognize the USB
m
l
Tom’s guide in the world
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Ireland
  • UK
Follow Tom’s guide
Subscribe to our newsletter
  • add to twitter
  • add to facebook