$500 Laptop for Comp Sci BS (starting in 2 weeks)

alatac

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
I'm looking for a laptop for school. I just joined a Comp Sci BS program for the spring and I'm going to need a laptop. I haven't used a laptop in years. The last one I bought was in 2005.

1. What is your budget?
$500 max, although as long as it is under 600, I can probably find a sale somewhere
(textbook prices took my budget away!)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
At least 15 inch, preferably larger

3. What screen resolution do you want?
I'm used to 1920x1080 at home on my desktop but as long as it doesn't strain my eyes. I prefer a matte finish.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable, but I don't mind lugging around up to 10lbs. I need the exercise.

5. How much battery life do you need?
As much as I can get. Minimum 5 hours. I'm commuting over an hour by train to college, and will be spending the entire day there doing my projects. I also need to be able to work on projects on the train.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes, but I'll probably only play games like Minecraft/Terraria on it.
I am planning on giving the laptop to my dad in a year and a half when I'm done with my program (his computer is shot). So I'd like the laptop to be able to play games on at least low settings. Doesn't have to be new games, he'll probably use it to play pre-2012 games on it. Still, I'd prefer to stay away from integrated graphics if possible unless the specific laptop has a good track record with them. Are integrated graphics acceptable now?

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Programming and virtual machines. My professors will probably force me to install MS Office 2013 too.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Min 320GB, but not a priority, I can transfer projects to my desktop

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Amazon, Newegg, but I'll buy from anywhere.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I always keep my laptops until they croak. So I'd like it to be at least viable for 4 years. And kept around as an alternative for older software for as long as it turns on.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD ROM/Writer (nothing fancy)

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Brands don't mean much. If it works and does what I want, I'm good. But, I don't want to have to RMA a ton because the quality control is bad.

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I prefer Windows 7. But I'll take Win 8 if I can downgrade. Or if the hardware is seriously better, I can live with win 8.
I also need to be able to run windows software.

alatac

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
I'm not interested in running the Chrome Remote Desktop.

Is there any viable way to use a Chromebook for an entire Computer Science bachelor's degree course load, that relies heavily on Windows software?

Alpha3031

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

it's more of a joke i use with people that have low budgets, but what software are you likely to use?

alatac

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

I thought it might be, but I didn't want to assume.

Definitely MS Office 2013, I'm not sure about the rest of it. I haven't met my professors yet, and all I got out of the chair of the department was that they were a Windows based program. This semester I'm taking a C++ course, a UNIX course, data communications, and database analysis. Future semesters will have java, operating system analysis and perl.

How are the HP Pavillions these days?
http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-g7-2270us-17-3-Inch-Processor/dp/B00ANKMYN8

I'm was looking at these too:

http://www.dealzon.com/deals/lenovo-thinkpad-edge#lenovo-thinkpad-edge-e545

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-G700-17-3-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B00CRXZU94/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1389495432&sr=1-7

How are Integrated HD 4000 graphics or 4600? Most of my desktop experience is with intel hardware, but I'm all for going AMD if I can get a good deal. I can also charge up my laptop throughout the day, so battery is flexible, now that I think about it.

momof3js

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/essential/g-series/g700/
Seems you can get 6gb ram here for $30 less than the one on Amazon.

I'd say stay away from HP. Both of our HPs have been disasters. Our Dell Inspirion has been our best laptop experience. An Acer just moderately better than HP.

Alpha3031

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

If you're going to run only games like Minecraft/Terraria on it, it's fine (integrated graphics, that is) and will probably give you better battery life

G

There are no laptops under $600 that are 1080p and have 5+ hours of battery life, unfortunately. There are very few laptops under $600 that have decent battery life at all. Thankfully integrated graphics are worlds better than they were in 2005 and can comfortably play nearly all modern games on at least low settings.

The Acer E1-572P gets about 6 hours of battery life and is $80 cheaper than the Lenovo, but comes with the dreaded 1366x768 resolution. At $500 you don't have much choice and it's not totally unusable. Plus it has the most recent i5 processor so you won't be skimping on power at least.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314150

Keep in mind that these computers will not last you four years unless you are incredibly lucky. Most in this range will fall apart in 2, maybe 3 years.

Also, Windows 8 isn't so bad once you get it! Just imagine the start screen is an upgraded start menu and there is virtually no difference except performance increases for 8.

alatac

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

My HP Pavillion that I got in 2005 is still running, I must be very lucky.

I guess I could forgo the battery life, I'll just scout out all the plug outlets at school. And the gaming really isn't necessary either, I do have my desktop for that.

Programming for hours at a time means the large screen, matte finish, and resolution are my real priority. So if I forget about the graphics and just make sure to get a good processor, could I possibly find something under $600 that has an okay resolution?

I found one that had a 17.3 inch screen and 1600x900, is that just as bad as the 1366x768 resolution on the 15.6 inch?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ANKMYN8/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00ANKMYN8&linkCode=as2&tag=lptps06-20
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231422 (refurbished)

Also, I get a free windows 7 64-bit product key so as long as the laptop doesn't have windows 8 embedded in it where it breaks if you try to remove it, I can replace. My ideal would be to be able to dual boot with Linux or run cygwin with unix.