Your question
Solved

Laptop turns on/off repeatedly, doesn't display anything on screen

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Hewlett Packard
Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
December 16, 2013 1:04:56 AM

My HP DV6700 turns on and off repeatedly after pressing the power button. The LED lights turn on and I can hear it making noise but then it shuts off before anything is displayed on the screen, and then it turns off and then turns on again and repeats the process. I have tried reseating the RAM to no avail. Is there anything else I can do?

EDIT: I have tried holding the power button down for a minute with the battery and AC adapter removed. Actually, the last thing I did before this issue started was holding down the power button for a minute. I tried it again anyway.

Pressing F10 quickly during boot causes the laptop to hang at black screen. The black screen slightly flashes between dark black and light black, as if the screen's backlight is turning on and off. It is very slight.

I tried reseating my hard drive, disc drive, and CMOS battery for ten sconds, no benefit.

More about : laptop turns repeatedly display screen

a b D Laptop
a b α HP
December 16, 2013 1:07:33 AM

try starting it plugged in and with the battery removed.
with no power going into it (unplugged and battery removed) try to press and keep pressed the power button for about a minute. should force a bios reset. and than try again to start
m
0
l
December 16, 2013 1:22:33 AM

laviniuc said:
try starting it plugged in and with the battery removed.
with no power going into it (unplugged and battery removed) try to press and keep pressed the power button for about a minute. should force a bios reset. and than try again to start


I tried this again and it did not work. Holding down the power button for a minute is actually the last thing I did before this issue started.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
December 16, 2013 1:25:29 AM

try to press the go to bios immediately after it starts, f2 i think it is in most laptops
m
0
l
December 16, 2013 1:34:47 AM

laviniuc said:
try to press the go to bios immediately after it starts, f2 i think it is in most laptops


F2 didn't do anything, but F10 causes it to stay on without shutting off, but the screen stays black, however the screen's backlight appears to be turning on and off, causing the black screen to flash between dark black and light black. (edited for accuracy)
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
December 16, 2013 1:37:18 AM

geo141 said:
laviniuc said:
try to press the go to bios immediately after it starts, f2 i think it is in most laptops


F2 didn't do anything, but F10 causes it to stay on without shutting off, but the screen stays black, however the screen's backlight appears to be turning on and off, causing the black screen to flash between dark black and light black. This slight on/off flashing between shades of black happens even when I don't press F10, it occurs as soon as I press the power button and goes until it shuts off.


probably best to take it to a repair shop, might need to hard reset the bios or replace the bios battery...
m
0
l
December 16, 2013 1:59:38 AM

laviniuc said:
geo141 said:
laviniuc said:
try to press the go to bios immediately after it starts, f2 i think it is in most laptops


F2 didn't do anything, but F10 causes it to stay on without shutting off, but the screen stays black, however the screen's backlight appears to be turning on and off, causing the black screen to flash between dark black and light black. This slight on/off flashing between shades of black happens even when I don't press F10, it occurs as soon as I press the power button and goes until it shuts off.


probably best to take it to a repair shop, might need to hard reset the bios or replace the bios battery...


Can I reset the bios myself? Can I replace the bios battery myself? I made a mistake in my last comment, the slight flashing of the screen only occurs after I press F10.

m
0
l
a c 244 D Laptop
a b α HP
December 16, 2013 2:29:09 AM

F10 is BIOS in HP laptops.

Replacing the BIOS battery is just a new CR2032 (usually, check on the battery. You pulled it out, which should have reset the BIOS)

What happens if you plug a display into one of the display outputs?
m
0
l

Best solution

December 16, 2013 12:41:19 PM

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, That particular behavior usually indicates a bad main board in HP's The CQ series of compaq's share the same components with a different color scheme.

The good news is that the HDD is just fine and you can pull your data from it.
Share
December 16, 2013 2:26:53 PM

Someone Somewhere said:
F10 is BIOS in HP laptops.

Replacing the BIOS battery is just a new CR2032 (usually, check on the battery. You pulled it out, which should have reset the BIOS)

What happens if you plug a display into one of the display outputs?


I plugged in my monitor and it didn't detect a signal.

m
0
l
December 16, 2013 2:34:05 PM

MoPCTech said:
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, That particular behavior usually indicates a bad main board in HP's The CQ series of compaq's share the same components with a different color scheme.

The good news is that the HDD is just fine and you can pull your data from it.


I guess there is nothing I can do then? Besides never buy an HP computer ever? That thing is such a piece of crap. First the hard drive fails, the AC adapter has problems keeping itself together, I break two ribbons and a gripping mechanism (the crappiest components I have ever seen) when trying to take the laptop apart, and then the main board fails when I hold down the power button for a minute! On top of all that, when it was working it was running crappier than my older dell laptop! HP is garbage.
m
0
l
a c 244 D Laptop
a b α HP
December 17, 2013 12:19:08 AM

That's the same amongst basically all manufacturers. Especially the HDD - those are standard.

Can't say I've ever managed to break a ribbon, but those things are really flimsy across all brands of laptops. The one's in my dad's HP actually seem tougher than my Dell.
m
0
l
December 17, 2013 12:38:41 AM

Is there any manufacturer which is known for using high quality components?

m
0
l
a c 244 D Laptop
a b α HP
December 17, 2013 12:54:38 AM

Not really. There's little difference between the manufacturers. Best thing is to find ones where all the components are easily accessible, instead of being buried.
m
0
l
March 31, 2014 11:36:00 AM

Years after and this is my friend's case.. HP doing bad repeatedly
m
0
l
August 30, 2015 2:38:58 PM

I had the same problem with 2 laptops (Aspire 5520 and Satellite A205). Today I performed a reflow on both motherboards (How to Reflow a Laptop Motherboard), and both started up and are running fine now.
m
0
l
May 11, 2016 6:35:29 AM

My acer laptop did the same the same thing
I tried everything
But nothung worked.
What would be the bestvoption to do now
m
0
l
December 11, 2016 2:49:38 PM


Try Removing the ram one by one and also out one ram in either slot.Mine was doing the same think.Turned out that one ram slot was bad.I run it now with only one ram stick on the slot that works.Good Luck.
m
0
l
April 16, 2017 4:27:51 PM

geo141 said:
My HP DV6700 turns on and off repeatedly after pressing the power button. The LED lights turn on and I can hear it making noise but then it shuts off before anything is displayed on the screen, and then it turns off and then turns on again and repeats the process. I have tried reseating the RAM to no avail. Is there anything else I can do?

EDIT: I have tried holding the power button down for a minute with the battery and AC adapter removed. Actually, the last thing I did before this issue started was holding down the power button for a minute. I tried it again anyway.

Pressing F10 quickly during boot causes the laptop to hang at black screen. The black screen slightly flashes between dark black and light black, as if the screen's backlight is turning on and off. It is very slight.

I tried reseating my hard drive, disc drive, and CMOS battery for ten sconds, no benefit.


Got a solution ( at least for me) I pressed f10 which put it into a monitor off lights on standby type of deal( as said above ) then pressed control alt and delete which started the screen and booted the laptop up

Honestly I don't know if this is a fluke or somthing, considering the laptop is only 2 days old, but this does seem like a more serious problem and switch it out/ refund it if still under warranty
m
0
l
May 13, 2017 5:27:45 PM

Replace CMOS battery. Resseting it won't help. Trust me, a failed CMOS battery is your problem.
m
0
l
May 29, 2017 11:28:55 PM

Got the same problem, the only thing is my compaq turns off about 20 sec after i turn it on, white screen, led lights on, fan on.
Tried reseating rams, hdd, power reset.
Any idea how to fix it?
m
0
l
September 21, 2017 5:56:37 AM

]try starting it plugged in and with the battery removed.
with no power going into it (unplugged and battery removed) try to press and keep pressed the power button for about a minute. should force a bios reset. and than try again to start[/quotemsg]

I tried this again and it did not work. Holding down the power button for a minute is actually the last thing I did before this issue started.[/quotemsg]

m
0
l
November 13, 2017 12:54:06 PM

I just had a HP Pavilion that was cycling power every few seconds. I opened it up and re-seated the RAM memory card. The power stopped cycling and stayed on but the screen was still black and nothing responded. I even tried bios recovery but had no response. I went back and re-seated the RAM card again and everything is fine. I found very little on the internet about RAM card connections causing this type problem. It does make sense though that a bad memory connection would stop everything and and it did on this HP.
m
0
l
February 21, 2018 7:49:19 AM

After all those 'is your computer plugged in' and 'turn the laptop upside down and hold the power button for 15 secs or 2 minutes', which were obviously useless, my problem was the CMOS battery flat. Changed the battery and voila!
And the problem was exactly this: laptop turns on, lights blink, cd-rom moves, laptop turns off. And it was keeping doing that in an endless loop.
m
0
l
5 minutes ago

geo141 said:
laviniuc said:
try starting it plugged in and with the battery removed.
with no power going into it (unplugged and battery removed) try to press and keep pressed the power button for about a minute. should force a bios reset. and than try again to start


I tried this again and it did not work. Holding down the power button for a minute is actually the last thing I did before this issue started.


m
0
l
4 minutes ago

Ok I had the same problem I just took the three screws out of the back to take the keyboard out and tighten down the processor screws and that fixed it
m
0
l
Related resources
Tom’s guide in the world
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Ireland
  • UK
Follow Tom’s guide
Subscribe to our newsletter
  • add to twitter
  • add to facebook
  • ajouter un flux RSS