Your question
Closed

NVIDIA GeForce 740M - Yellow triangle (!) and code 43 error on a brand new laptop?

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Nvidia
  • Geforce
  • Graphics
Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
October 6, 2013 11:30:51 PM

Hi,

I recently bought a brand new laptop after looking around and even checking this forum for useful tips when shopping for laptops. Now, my new computer seems to work fine, but when I click the NVIDIA icon in the taskbar it tells me my display is not connected to a NVIDIA GPU. I opened Device Manager and it shows NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M with a small triangle (!) next to it. When I click it it says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

What does this mean? Can I fix it somehow? Is it a driver issue? (I clicked update driver and it said my driver is up to date.)

The laptop runs Windows Ultimate 64-bit, but I don't know if that is something you need to know or not.

Thanks for reading.

- Lisa

PS: I tried to uninstall it, and now it doesn't show up in Device Manager anymore. (I followed a guide on how to fix and it said if I ran detect hardware changes it would automatically re-install but didn't.) Do I simply need to download the latest driver to re-install this?

More about : nvidia geforce 740m yellow triangle code error brand laptop

a b D Laptop
October 7, 2013 2:33:24 AM

Yes you are correct an error 43 usually points to a driver issue it’s a general fault code saying the device didn’t initialise correctly. You can try a few things to fix this the first would be rollback the driver to an earlier version or try removing the driver then reboot the machine and see if windows will install a new " functioning driver “automatically. If this is not successful the next step would be to try to get one from the laptop retailer’s web site or your driver disks if the laptop came with any.

Laptop makers sometimes meddle with the drivers causing incompatibility with standard ones. I remember an old Dell laptop I had with a discrete card the GPU driver had been customised by dell and was incompatible with any future update released by the chip manufacturer.

Finally you could try looking on the nvidia site for , to provide any other help I would need to know exactly the model of the laptop to try to find you a driver to try
Good luck , happy gaming
Score
0
October 7, 2013 2:45:52 AM

synthaside said:
Yes you are correct an error 43 usually points to a driver issue it’s a general fault code saying the device didn’t initialise correctly. You can try a few things to fix this the first would be rollback the driver to an earlier version or try removing the driver then reboot the machine and see if windows will install a new " functioning driver “automatically. If this is not successful the next step would be to try to get one from the laptop retailer’s web site or your driver disks if the laptop came with any.

Laptop makers sometimes meddle with the drivers causing incompatibility with standard ones. I remember an old Dell laptop I had with a discrete card the GPU driver had been customised by dell and was incompatible with any future update released by the chip manufacturer.

Finally you could try looking on the nvidia site for , to provide any other help I would need to know exactly the model of the laptop to try to find you a driver to try
Good luck , happy gaming


After uninstalling, rebooting and troubleshooting the laptop, windows tried to find drivers for "Unknown Device" and failed. I'm sure this unknown device has to be the NVIDIA card, because there's nothing else it could be.

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L40A, released in June 2013. (I'm living in China, so it might only be for the Chinese market, I don't really know.) The product code seems to be L40-AC05W1.

I'd appreciate any help finding the right driver as I'm really not super tech-savvy. It's the first time I've bought a laptop myself and I'm just terrified of making any mistakes.
Score
0
Related resources

Best solution

a b D Laptop
October 7, 2013 4:00:42 AM

As far as i can tell , this is the driver you are after ( ignore that its from the UK website that's just where i'm searching from) the l40-AC05W1 seems to refer to that driver there and don't worry about messing up too much you can always do a system restore / system rollback

You call yourself not super tech savvy but its only by asking and trying to help ourselves that we all learnt in the first place.

http://www.toshiba.co.uk/innovation/download_driver_det...

Share
October 7, 2013 5:10:27 PM

synthaside said:
As far as i can tell , this is the driver you are after ( ignore that its from the UK website that's just where i'm searching from) the l40-AC05W1 seems to refer to that driver there and don't worry about messing up too much you can always do a system restore / system rollback

You call yourself not super tech savvy but its only by asking and trying to help ourselves that we all learnt in the first place.

http://www.toshiba.co.uk/innovation/download_driver_det...



Thank you.

I have now tried to install the latest windows certified driver from NVIDIA's site without success. Uninstalled then downloaded and installed this one from Toshiba UK with the same result. (They had the same version number, 327.23, so it might have been the same driver?)

It still gives me error 43 and tells me that windows has stopped the device.

Am I installing the driver in the wrong directory perhaps? I just went with the standard directory that the installer wanted me to choose. C:/NVIDIA/something/something. I also have D and E partitions, but I don't really know the difference. I just use D for games and programs and E for my music and movie library.

Could I try the next newest driver and see if it makes a difference?

Update: Tried an older driver, same result. NVIDIAs auto detect tool on geforce.com is not able to detect NVIDIA hardware in my computer.

Tried to download a display driver for Toshiba L40-A from the asian toshiba website, it was a zip-file and when extracted, setup did not start. Idk what's wrong about this one. Got a text file with loads of code in it opened when I clicked "start".

Maybe I need to reinstall windows 7?...

Score
0
a b D Laptop
October 8, 2013 3:38:49 AM

You could try to force the machine to look at the driver data ( quite often driver data isn't actually executable code)

Inside "device manager" try right clicking the faulty device and " update driver software " then click browse my computer and specify the location you downloade the driver data to see if that works.
Score
0
October 9, 2013 5:28:34 PM

synthaside said:
You could try to force the machine to look at the driver data ( quite often driver data isn't actually executable code)

Inside "device manager" try right clicking the faulty device and " update driver software " then click browse my computer and specify the location you downloade the driver data to see if that works.


When I do that it simply tells me "Windows has determined that your driver is up to date."

I tried to download this driver:
http://pc.toshiba-asia.com/mm/support/drivers/details/3...

And it downloads as an .exe file. I click on the .exe file and get a Toshiba extractor that says setup will start after files are extracted. I let it extract the files, but all that happens is it opens a notepad-like document with some computer code in it. Idk what to do about it...

Application windows that opens from the .exe file:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98268247/applicatio...

Notepad-like file with code: (big)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98268247/notepad-fi...

Is toshiba being a jerk or am I doing something obviously wrong?
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
October 9, 2013 5:34:10 PM

Sounds like it could have a DOA GPU. I would suggest contacting the manufacturer sooner rather than later.
Score
0
October 9, 2013 6:01:30 PM

smeezekitty said:
Sounds like it could have a DOA GPU. I would suggest contacting the manufacturer sooner rather than later.


I'll look into that. I really doubt they have English support over here (China) so I'll probably have to have someone call for me. -sigh-
Score
0
Tom’s guide in the world
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Ireland
  • UK
Follow Tom’s guide
Subscribe to our newsletter
  • add to twitter
  • add to facebook
  • ajouter un flux RSS