Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

is there a router I can use with wireless phone?

Last response: in Cell Phone General Discussion
Share
June 5, 2013 11:31:00 AM

I have unlimited data, I can hotspot it...but is there a router I can tether so other devices can access Internet at home? AT&T ridiculously charge me $50 for 5-6 mb...which I don't think is truly 5-6...very slow...

More about : router wireless phone

June 5, 2013 11:42:50 AM

Wouldn't any wireless router work with a wireless-capable phone?
m
0
l
June 5, 2013 11:58:32 AM

How? I don't know much about this...so I'm assuming the router acts as an access point for other wifi devices...& instead of ethernet cable from AT&T ...I can just hook my phone & to the router or something...

Most of routers with USB ports in the back are used for printer or hd...can't use it to connect to my cell phone...if that makes sense...
ksham said:
Wouldn't any wireless router work with a wireless-capable phone?


m
0
l
Related resources
June 5, 2013 12:00:20 PM

Yes; what you said is completely correct. And those are not USB ports, but Ethernet LAN ports.
m
0
l
June 5, 2013 12:44:06 PM

Well, the one I have at home has only Ethernet ports...which I won't work...but I've seen routers with usb ports...but they're for printer or to access hard drives...therefore don't know if there's a router that'll allow to to tether my phone...or can it be done wirelessly....just upgraded to Samsung s4...powerful, but don't know if can be tethered to router...& which router model to use...don't mind buying a new router...hoping it'll pay for itself in the long run

ksham said:
Yes; what you said is completely correct. And those are not USB ports, but Ethernet LAN ports.


m
0
l
June 5, 2013 12:54:03 PM

It can connect to a router and then tether to other devices.
m
0
l
June 5, 2013 1:32:32 PM

Some routers have the option to bridge wireless networks or extend wireless networks, so if you were to create a wireless tether point on your phone and then point your router to always bridge or extend that network, you could wirelessly tether your phone to your router and then connect any other devices to it. just a thought.
m
0
l
June 5, 2013 1:56:33 PM

How?
ksham said:
It can connect to a router and then tether to other devices.


m
0
l
June 5, 2013 1:58:40 PM

How...I currently have a 2wire from AT&T...which router should I buy?are there instructions/links to show or tutor on setup?
Daniel Tarver said:
Some routers have the option to bridge wireless networks or extend wireless networks, so if you were to create a wireless tether point on your phone and then point your router to always bridge or extend that network, you could wirelessly tether your phone to your router and then connect any other devices to it. just a thought.


m
0
l
June 5, 2013 2:05:47 PM

Do you know how to set up your router for wireless access? It's not hard. Set that up. Then on your phone wireless menu, just select the correct ESSID. From there, create an AP on your phone. Alternatively, you can also tether using your mobile radio signal if you have data package.
m
0
l
June 5, 2013 2:31:29 PM

Thungrac221 said:
How...I currently have a 2wire from AT&T...which router should I buy?are there instructions/links to show or tutor on setup?
Daniel Tarver said:
Some routers have the option to bridge wireless networks or extend wireless networks, so if you were to create a wireless tether point on your phone and then point your router to always bridge or extend that network, you could wirelessly tether your phone to your router and then connect any other devices to it. just a thought.



A very quick google of bridge a router to a smartphone gave me something very very close to what your looking at doing,

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-review...

also almost any d-link or netgear or linksys routers have the ability, no all but quite a few of them, and you will not be able to do it from your att router, they almost always block that kind of stuff out, plus if you have 2wire or att service, why are you trying to bridge to your cell phone???


m
0
l
June 5, 2013 7:58:11 PM

I'm trying to get rid of it...I have supposedly 6mb download...but it's slow as heck when 2 devices are on...just surfing the net...no videos, etc...
They've increased the price from $20 to $50 these past 3 months...people down the street pay $20 with them for fiber optics...sadly, my house still can only have dsl.

Daniel Tarver said:
...
Thungrac221 said:
How...I currently have a 2wire from AT&T...which router should I buy?are there instructions/links to show or tutor on setup?
Daniel Tarver said:
Some routers have the option to bridge wireless networks or extend wireless networks, so if you were to create a wireless tether point on your phone and then point your router to always bridge or extend that network, you could wirelessly tether your phone to your router and then connect any other devices to it. just a thought.



A very quick google of bridge a router to a smartphone gave me something very very close to what your looking at doing,

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-review...

also almost any d-link or netgear or linksys routers have the ability, no all but quite a few of them, and you will not be able to do it from your att router, they almost always block that kind of stuff out, plus if you have 2wire or att service, why are you trying to bridge to your cell phone???




m
0
l
June 6, 2013 11:24:03 AM

if they allow you to hotspot your 4g connection, then just buy a good hotspot device. you wont find a cheap router that can natively hook up to 4g.

if you arent supposed to hotspot your connection, but you are because you know how, then just buy a better phone. most 4g plans dont allow hotspotting without paying an extra fee.
m
0
l
Tom’s guide in the world
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Ireland
  • UK
Follow Tom’s guide
Subscribe to our newsletter